Taps and dies

mickri

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Haven't been around much since I took on a new project last spring. I am resurrecting a 1966 MG Midget from the dead. Dragged it out of a field. Most of the nuts and bolts are all fine thread and luckily not British witworth (sp?) All of my taps and dies are coarse thread. I have decided to fill in my set with the sizes that I need instead of buying a new set which would duplicate my coarse threads. It also allows me to buy better quality. Besides staying away from chinese junk, what brands should I look for to buy?

I had 4 bolts shear off when I tried to remove them and need to drill them out and clean up the threads. I also have several parts where the bolts or nuts were missing and the threads are too rusted for a bolt or nut to thread on. None are on critical parts.
Thanks for any advice and suggestion you guys can provide.
IMG_3506.JPG20170330_184239.jpg

I do have a machining project coming up when I rebuild the rear axle. I'll start a separate thread for that project.

Penetrating oil ,number 1 , buy good taps and dies to match . Wrenches too. Use cutting oil or tapping fluid. If it's rusted spray and go away for a day or two spraying often.

Reactions: Z2V
Rust can dull a new tap easily so be carefull.
Send me a message about what taps tou may need. I have many taps that are both new and used so can send you some of my extras.

You are to be commended, you have a worthwhile project.

Check your local ACE hardware. I went in there a couple weeks ago and they had taps & dies on clearance. Irwin brand. Good but not the best. They were $1 each. I couldn't believe my eyes. I asked why they were marked down from $4-$9 to $1 and they told me the taps & dies sat on the shelf for years and never sold any so they were getting rid of them and wouldn't stock them anymore. I don't know if that was nation-wide or just my store.

The midget has been a fun project. I had also dragged a 69 Sprite out of the same field for parts. The tub of the sprite was pretty much rusted out but had many usable parts that were either missing or beyond repair on the midget. Stripped off all of the usable parts and hauled the remaining hulk of the sprite off to a scrap yard.
These cars are collectively called spridgets. I have a true spridget now. Hope to have all of the basic work done by the end of the year. I am currently doing minor body work and refurbishing the brakes and suspension. The motor is frozen and cost prohibitive to rebuild to only end up with 50hp. Project for next year will be swapping in a toyota 4ac 90hp engine and transmission from a early 80's corolla. Hope to have it on the road by next summer. I am documenting my project on the MG experience forum.
Thanks for the tip about the Irwin taps. I have bought some but didn't know the quality. The Ace hardware stores I frequent seem to sell them. I will look to see if they are still on sale.
Bill I will send you a private message.

The current Irwin taps seen at hardware stores are made in China. It is written very small on the packaging and is difficult to find. Wonder why? If the Irwin taps are NOS and say USA on the tap, then buy 'em up at $1 each. No Chinese tap in a hardware store is worth me buying it, at any price...

The Irwin tap that I bought a few months ago at Ace has USA on it.

I don't have an answer for you but that MG reminds me of the MGB a close friend resurrected from the dead in his backyard and I had the pleasure of helping him restore it( well, mainly watching and learning), what a great nimble car it was, the best thing I remember about it was the short gearbox shaft and how easy it was to change gears. unfortunately the car was stolen soon after it was restored , one of the locals who probably watched the whole restoration from scratch probably stole it according to the police,what a patient thief he must have been.
Good luck with your project.

Back