Teardown & painting a SB9A

pjf134

Active User
Registered
The weather finally got warm enough to paint, but still raining almost every day. Tailstock, compound, crossslide & saddle are painted, below are some pics as I was sanding the old paint off down to bare metal and tearing apart. Trying to keep the parts together as much as possible so I can put it all together right. I do need to buy one gits oiler for the top of my countershaft, but I think postage would be more than the part. Anybody got one laying around that they do not need? My restore is for protection from rust, not a show piece. Rust pits and dings everwhere, just not worth it. Every thing does not have a lot of wear, just a lot of rust from sitting for years.
The lathe runs good, and I hope it turns out looking good too.
Paul

I probably have some extra Gits oilers,,, is that a 3/16" or a 1/4" you need?

Doug,
I will have to check, but I think it is 1/4" for the countershaft. I think I need another one for the apron, none there now, It's the one near the top right near the thread dial. I did not notice it until today while I was cleaning it up for painting. The hole was plugged flush with the apron, which made it look like nothing was there. Moving right along with the painting and cleaning as shown in the pics. My next door neighbor come over today with a job for the lathe, but I showed him the lathe and said he will have to wait for that tool that he wants me to make for him. 2" tapered rod with all thread thru the middle ( 2-req'd.) cone shaped.
Paul

More teardown and painting, gearbox is next, just started today on it. One of these days I will change the date on my camera. I did find a round wire spring clip about 7/8" dia. laying on table, I think it came from apron, but can't find out where, it does not match up to anything on apron. It was not there until I started to work on apron, but everything seems to be in place. This is why I only work on one thing at a time so this would not happen. Anyway the gearbox is cleaning up nice. More to come in the days ahead.
Paul

Looking good Paul. On the 2 gear box shifters, the gears that are shown on them have needle bearings. It would be a good idea to pull them out and clean, re-grease, replace or whatever it takes. Down the road they never really get lubed, but are always turning. I just did this to my 9A a couple of months ago. The bearings in mine were very worn and tight. The local bearing store had replacements for a very reasonable price. Also if you post a pic of the spring clip I might remember where it was.
John

jghm;
The spring clip wire is about 1/32" dia. and about 7/8" O.D. (not compressed) It does not seem to fit anywhere. I plan to do a complete teardown of gearbox, just started today. My 1968 SB9A has very little wear, just been sitting a long time, oil dried up and rust formed from lack of care. All gears and leadscrew are in very good shape except for dried up oil on them and some surface rust.
All parts are cleaning up nice, but a lot of work though, took some time to get parts to bare metal before painting. I just have been working on one part at a time then painting before it starts to rust. That wire clip is bugging me, since I did not take it off, it just fell off by itself I guess. I thought it was the one on the top middle of the apron gear shaft, but that one is on.
Paul

jghm,
The spring should be a 16 or 52, but the 52 is on and the 16 I thing is on, will have to check again, but I think it was the wrong size if I remember right. The 7 & 10 assy. seems loose, but that clip is the wrong size for the shaft. I did look at the parts breakdown before. Maybe it came off something else without me noticing it, not sure now. I can not think of anywhere a spring clip would be but the apron.
Paul

More teardown on the gearbox, got it apart fairly quick, just many parts to clean though. First pic is when I gave it a quick bath in kero. Second pic is the first quick coat of paint after cleaning some minor rust. The taper pins came out easy, I did find a good use for an old arrow, keeping the gears in right position. The only problem I had was the pin that hold some of the gears together (horizontal pin), I had to nock the shaft and get one gear at a time off, but not a big problem. Now I just have to paint and clean gears up then put back together right. I did manage to remember to change date on my camera.

That spring clip sounds like it may be off of the bull gear to the right of the pulley on the spindle.

Looks like you are having fun... I am doing exactly the same on a 1944 SB 9A, all I need is a fix/replacement for my sheared back/bull gear and a gear cover guard.

Back