Teardown & painting a SB9A

Thanks Jim B.,
The pin was in the fiber washer and a hole in the nut. The headstock looked different in your pic thats why the question. I do have a 1 1/2-8 spindle. Do you by chance have the part number for the TFE grease for spindle, mine does take it, I need some so I can put my headstock together. I also need a brass insert for the back gear shaft, the one nearest the chuck end, there is about 1/16" left on it. I could make one but I have no brass yet and also no lathe yet, but close.
Paul

Jim B.,
I was going to use gear oil as I have some, so maybe thats what I'L use then.
Paul

PRODUCT DATA SHEET
Product: ViscoTech DE112
Type: Grease
Reference: N/A
This uniquely designed product containing PTFE is a premium material that is
waterproof and is a high temperature non-melt type grease. The organic phosphate
additive used in this material is absorbed on metal surfaces forming a tenacious film. If
the film is ruptured, it will self-repair. DE112 Special Lubricant offers long service life at
very low concentration, which results in economical usage.
Typical properties of the product are as follows:
Type of Thickener Bentone
Penetration Range (ASTM D217)
Worked 300 - 330
NLGI Grade 1
Color Off-White
Dropping Point (ASTM D2265) 232°C
Base Oil Viscosity @ 38°C 66 - 72 cSt
Low Temp Usage -35°C
SPECIFICATIONS
The typical properties reported on this data sheet should not be used for writing specifications or creating drawings.
Please consult ECL for assistance in preparing a specification for this product.
SAFETY
This product does not contain hazardous, toxic or reportable ingredients. At elevated temperatures adequate ventilation is required
to remove generated fumes. See the Material Safety Data Sheet for further safety related information.
PACKAGING
Standard packaging includes pails, kegs and drums. Special packaging can be accommodated on request. Upon request, we can
provide purchasing assistance for those customers requiring tote systems.
DISCLAIMER
Since we cannot anticipate or control the many different conditions under which this information and our product may be used, we cannot guarantee
the applicability of this information or the suitability of our product in any individual situation. For the same reason, the product discussed is sold
without warranty expressed or implied. Please contact Engineered Custom Lubricants for assistance and recommendations prior to writing or
releasing any engineering specifications. Engineered Custom Lubricants and ECL are assumed names of Roy Dean Products Company.
11-03

Additional:

South Bend, for example, recommends four different lubricants for
their 9" and 10" lathes: CE1671 bed way lube, CE1603 medium machine
oil, CE-1600 light machine oil, and CE1625 Teflon grease. These are
|available from South Bend, and the discussion and tables below
|should allow you to choose an equivalent oil available from an
|industrial supply house. The Teflon grease is available from
|Roy Dean Products in Dearborn, MI, as part number DE112.

Maybe we should take a poll on grease vs. oil in a spindle and backgear when it is marked grease. Lets see who has been using what and see what works best from the old timers. I have been told use oil from 20w to gear lube 140w and tfe grease and now I do not know what to use. There was grease in the spindle and back gear when I tore it apart and the shafts look better than other shafts on the lathe that use oil, so that is why I am leaning to grease. But anyway I was useing my belt sander on my bench to get it ready to paint and used the purple power anti rust, that why the brown cast, then wipe it off when it was dry then paint. I finished the first quick coat and I am letting it dry a bit before I apply a second coat, then letting it dry and start to put the lathe back together one piece at a time. I would like to figure out the grease vs. oil soon, so I can put the headstock back together. I hope everybody is enjoying the pics. Maybe I will start another thread for the re-assembly of the SB9A. What does everybody think?
Thanks for all the advice,
Paul

Getting a little closer to being done, still have to do the countershaft and change the motor out and rewire for drum switch. That oil based paint takes a long time to dry as I have to touch up paint as I get the parts together, it's really soft yet. I have a QCTP to put on yet, but have to machine t-nut, but I have no mill yet, so I will have to do it another way.
Paul

Back to finishing my lathe, been busy for awhile, mounted my countershaft and wired in the drum switch for the other motor. The only things I have to finish are the guards and adjust everything. It can run now but I do not have any oil yet. I have to machine a new t-nut for the QCTP, but I have no mill yet, so I guess I will have to do it another way. A chip pan would be nice and it will keep my paint job looking good for awhile maybe. My bench needs some work too, it is a little wobbly, I was thinking of attaching it to the wall and adding drawers also. Final pics coming soon. This job only took about 5 weeks, my shop floor is covered with rusty brown dust, a lot of rust came off, whatever is not on the floor it's on me (LOL).
Paul

JIMB,
I was thinking about sheet metal or flashing for a chip tray like yours but with raised 4 sides & a notch on one corner to dump chips. My bench has no bracing to speak of, that's why it wobbles I guess, I wonder how someone used it like that. Some drawers and shelfs would help a lot, maybe some cross bracing too. I am trying to get it going soon as I have some items to machine on it, maybe drawers can wait a little, it's been down for awhile so projects been backing up.
Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
My SB9A almost done, moving it around the shop to see where it fits the best.
Paul

Back