Techniks ISO30-ER40 Chuck Will Not Fit the Spindle/Sharp LMV Mill

The reason that I like the 30 taper as apposed to the R-8 is that it is easier to remove and exchange tools without having to lower the knee or move the job laterally due to the longer length of the R-8 and to taper of the 30 tools allowing the adaptors to be lowered and tilted out.

Thank you John,
I have not been able to verify the difference between the 30 taper configurations.
I’ll check it out.

You would need to cut notches in the flange of that collet chuck and make a longer draw bar to use it on your mill. The taper will be the same

I ordered a NST 30 ER40 chuck.
The collets will be fine. I like the way the ER series locks up with very little TIR.
You would need to cut notches in the flange of that collet chuck and make a longer draw bar to use it on your mill. The taper will be the same
I think I will just return it.

The 30 NS worked like a charm. I sent back the ISO 30 and all is well with the world. Sort of....

As benmychree says above, NMTB30 and ISO30 (DIN2080) are the same, although the drawbar thread will be imperial for the NMTB (USA) and metric for the ISO (Europe etc). Being intended for use with a drawbar, they have the parallel shank at the narrow end.

The other tools that have no parallel shank are designed to take pullstuds instead of a drawbar. These are BT30 etc although you can use them in a drawbar machine if you simply use a longer drawbar. They also have the groove in the largest diameter, as they are designed to work with an auto toolchanger (ATC - tend to go hand in hand with pullstuds). With a power drawbar, most likely you don't really need the drive dogs anyway, so you could just remove them if they cause problems.

Seems you were sold BT30 tooling although it was (wrongly) described as ISO30. Took me a while to figure out the various flavours of 30 taper tooling - you are not alone!

On my machine I have a pullstud system and use both ISO30 and BT30. The solution was to have longer pullstuds for the BT30 tooling. That gave me a better choice of 30 taper tooling which isn't as widely available as 40 and 50 taper.

On my bigger machine which takes ISO40 tooling, I acquired some cheap BT40 tooling and simply TIG welded the parallel shank to convert it to ISO40. Works well enough for the likes of me but 40 tooling is pretty cheap anyway so for accurate work I buy the proper ISO40 tools.

I'm in the UK and get most of my toolholders from Cutwel. The 40 taper tooling is about half the price of the 30 tools (£20 vs £40). https://www.cutwel.co.uk/tool-holdi...2080-iso30iso40iso50/iso30-end-mill-holders-1 Unfortunately, I suspect they may not ship out of the UK, based on my experience when I loved in Canada.

Last edited:
Back