Techniks ISO30-ER40 Chuck Will Not Fit the Spindle/Sharp LMV Mill

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hello,
I am new to the ISO 30, Spindle.
I have a handful of the ISO 30 tool holders for specific Imperial sizes.
It was mentioned on this forum to just get a good set of ER40 collets. I thought that was a much better option.
The ER40 chuck I bought is of high quality, the collets fit and lock up very nicely.But, the ISO 30-ER40 chuck will not clear the locking lugs on the spindle.
I am hoping I am missing a locking ring adapter of some sort?
Please see the pics.
Thank you,
JeffIMG_1655[1].JPGIMG_1656[1].JPGIMG_1657[1].JPG

Looks like it may be for a quick change tool on a CNC
Martin

I thought of that but I can't seem to find one that has the lug cut outs. CAT 40 yes.
What if I removed the lugs? Too Mickey Mouse?
The weakest link will be the taper. The collets lock up very well.
These mills came with R8 or ISO 30.
If worse came to worse I guess I could buy a R8 spindle if it wasn't cost prohibitive.

Hmm, the literature published back when it was made showed two spindle options.
R8 and ISO 30.
I assumed ISO 30 was correct because the tool holders that came with the used mill were all ISO 30 and fit properly.
By properly, I mean they fit up into the lugs and the draw bar pulls them in tight.
I don't know enough about Cat 30 or ISO 30.
Is there a way of defining that spindle?
Please excuse my ignorance, my Bridgeport was R8. This is my first time at bat with ISO/CAT 30. Isn't there also BT30?

Is it a sharp mill? Sharp shows NST 30 taper

It's a Sharp LMV. I'll see what I can find. I will also look at illustrations of NST 30.
I found literature that showed ISO 30.
Thanks for checking. I have some home work to do.
.IMG_1658[1].JPGIMG_1659[1].JPG

Whoa, you are correct. I just found the PDF showing R8 and/or NST 30.
Thank you,

Hi Jeff: I have two mills that use 30 taper like the one you have, I think that originally it was known as NMTB 30 (National Machine Tool Builders), which uses the two driving lugs and a drawbar; I found all my adaptors on e bay, including collet adaptors, all used and in good condition for not much money. It seems that ISO (International Standards Organization) 30 taper and NMTB 30 are the same animal, Cat 30 has a retention vee cut on the flange.

NMTB 30 and the Ericson QC are the same except the flange is smaller on the Ericson.
nmtb30.jpg
NMTB 30 on the left, flange measuring 1.969"
Ericson on the right measures 1.812"
I've used NMTB 30's in the Ericson QC system by turning down the flange. Although the Ericson system is labeled "quick change", it's not faster than a power drawbar. If you use a power drawbar, the flange size doesn't matter.

Back