Technique learning projects

Max_Power

Registered
Registered
Seeing as a few of you here have asked that members show more projects regardless of skill level,...And promised not to laugh..here are a few of my pieces. Several of these were made less to a certain specification or design and more just to some dimension I dreamed up and largely for me to try out methods and operations so that I can gain experience. All of these were done on my Smithy Granite 1324 MAX, Which although many at other sites seem to think is too much of a compromise to be worth owning I am very happy with!! (I've found in most hobbies folks seem to think equipment that is capable of ten times more than their skills is the absolute minimum 8) )

1. A few bushings I made used to circumvent the transmission cooler bypass tube on later model Ford truck transmissions. (The bypass is known to "bypass" too easily and not send oil through the cooler). On the right is a driver to remove and install Ford AXODE transmission pump shaft bearings (refaced and instructions added after my boss beat the heck out of it! :mad: )

2. On the left a extra key for my 4-jaw (original on right)

3. A adapter to allow a dial indicator to be mounted to my MT3 tailstock via a 3/4 MT3 endmill holder to measure off the carriage or vise.

......continued

IMG_20110528_175616.jpg IMG_20110611_185553.jpg IMG_20110617_194633.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
4. "Sockets" to adjust the five-sided end plug on Honda transmission pressure regulator solenoids.

5. A piston/conrod and crankshaft for a steam engine I am designing as I make.

6. Flywheel for said engine.

Todd

IMG_20110627_222451.jpg IMG_20110915_200931.jpg IMG_20110915_200956.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Your doing some nice work their, and I bet the boss is happy to have you on board. -^
Now whats the secrete to getting those letters punched in so strait? They look perfect.

Dave

Thanks for the compliments guys! I will be sure to make a thread for the steam engine, good idea as I will soon be looking for some info on how to calculate the timing events for a engine with a pivoting cylinder like this.

Davo J , The procedure used for the letter stamps was a lot of squinting combined with clenching my jaw whilst waiting for my hand to stop moving long enough to smack the punch. 8) I was wondering about making some sort of "rack" that would hold the stamps in alignment while stamping but it seemed that the stamps lacked spacing to compensate for the different shapes of the letters. It seemed like the letters were all just centered on the punches and would require shims, or possibly calculating once and milling down the width of each letter so that they would be able to just be stacked against each other in the alignment "rack". Anyone done anything similar? Todd

Back