Teco VFD on Gorton mill help

Joe,

The board on the right of the transformer looks like it could possibly be a rectifier to
power the DC feed motor. Is that a heat sink and some rectifiers on that board?
It's somewhat hard to tell from the photo but that would make sense to me.
Also, I think I can see an electrolytic capacitor or two indicating that the board
would be the DC feed motor supply.

This is the transformer for the power feed motor. Here is a picture of them.

20180128_175409.jpg

Screenshot_20180206-060109.png

I am thinking about using a power relay similar to this one.

20180206_102335.jpg

IMHO, only being able to run the feed motor while the spindle is running is not the best scenario. You might want to use the feed during setup, could save a lot of cranking. Also, could be a safety issue as you might be tempted to do that while running the spindle...
You won't burn up the transformer by leaving it on, but there is a way to avoid that too. Have a main power switch (could be a contractor) supplying the VFD and the transformer, you could simply use the VFD display to indicate power on, or if it won't be visibly mounted, have a pilot lamp indicate status.

I am thinking about using a power relay similar to this one.

That would likely work to connect the 220 single phase to the input of the VFD. It looks like a DPST(double pole single throw)
and looks heavy enough for that application.

It is a DC power feed, the power (120VAC X1, X2) is fed off of the transformer. All you would need is a main power disconnect switch (like 40 or 50A) that would provide single phase power to the the VFD and the transformer (H1 and H4, with a jumper from H1 to H3 and H2 to H4 for 240VAC input). The VFD would be directly wired to the motor. The drive stays on when the machine is on, it has its own DC supply and controls running off of the transformer. You would want some form of input fusing for the VFD and separate fusing for the transformer, usually both input and output. If you go with the VFD then you will want some form of remote pod for the start stop/direction and speed pot. The VFD needs to be programmed accordingly.

The alternative is an RPC, really depends on if there are any other powered systems like pumps or other drives, and if it has a variable speed mechanical drive or is it belted pulleys for the speed changes?

Corrected the connections for 240VAC, couldn't make out the jumpers numbers in the picture and assumed they were linear, thought it was a bit strange as the coils would be in parallel.

Attachments

• Gorton-MasterMill-Maintenance-Manual.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hi Joe, just run the power feed transformer from a simple switch from your breaker panel, you could have a pilot light or something if you are worried about leaving it on. No need to make it more complex.
It looks like H1 tie to H3, H2 tie to H4 for 220/240 volt. Then power goes to H1 and H2
Mark

Yeah I changed the jumper wires on the transformer the other night after that pic was taken.
I'm going to do some more checking tonight after work and see if the RA and RB terminals are switching power when the VFD is turned on.
I will take a clearer picture of transformer side and maybe someone can identify problem areas I could update on that circuit board.
Joe Hynes

Yes you could use RA and RB contacts to close another relay which would put power to the power feed transformer if you wanted to go that route.
Mark
RA and RB are just contacts though, no power comes out from there.
Do you know if the power feed is functional?

Last edited:
Back