Tectyl 900 gun oil for cutting fluid?

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
Hey guys. Quick question. Can you use Tectyl 900 gun oil rust preventative for a cutting oil. My father inlaw has some he wants to get rid of and I was wondering if I can use it for cutting oil.
1561048205906-1443021270.jpg
15610482508621924723561.jpg
1561048299031-405694606.jpg

I forgot to mention that I want to use it as a lathe cutting fluid.

Gun oil is for guns; I like to use TapMagic for all my cutting oil needs.

Hallo.
Yes my friend I know gun oil is for guns,but as you surely know many things are used for other things they are not intended for. So I thought just maybe it can be used for cutting too. Please don't take offense because of my reply.

I suppose it would work better than nothing, just hafta try it. That "gun" oil is actually for heavy artillery.

Try the TapMagic, you will not be disappointed, it is great stuff for all machine work, not just tapping.

The question is not if tapmagic works,it is if I can use this oil wich is available and seeing that I don't have guns to use it on, I want to try using it for cutting. But thanks for your advice.

You can use any oil you want for machining! How well Tectyl 900 gun oil works for machining????... I think you are the person that is in the best position to determine that. I would like to hear your results when you give it a try!

I would first find out if it is reasonably safe to inhale the smoke, I personally will not take a chance with it as cutting oil . you just don't know what additives they put in it.

Yes, first thing to do is look up a MSDS sheet on it, some of that military stuff can be made with additives that can not be safe for prolonged contact, not to mention a fume hazard from inhalation.

Back