Teleposts as welding table legs

Based on the small size of your shop are you planning to make the table so that it can be folded up and stored out of the way when not in use? That was a primary concern in the little welding table that I recently made.

Based on the small size of your shop are you planning to make the table so that it can be folded up and stored out of the way when not in use? That was a primary concern in the little welding table that I recently made.

Yes, I’m thinking how I can make a solid table that fold up like a card table.
I’ll have to do some doodling and see what I can come up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why don't you just get a card table and put a metal top on it? The top on the table I made is a little thin at .10" thick. .125 thick would have been better. My table was pretty flexible until I added a center support.

Why don't you just get a card table and put a metal top on it? The top on the table I made is a little thin at .10" thick. .125 thick would have been better. My table was pretty flexible until I added a center support.
Interesting idea.
I'll do some scrounging and see what I can find.

You should be able to find one for next to nothing at garage and yard sales. Especially if the top is damaged. On what ever table you make be sure to "budweiser" the corners.

What's a "budweiser" corner you ask. One of my best friends was one of the best paint and varnish guys in Dana Point. There were a few who might have been his equal but no one was better than Bruce. Sadly Bruce was also an alcoholic and started every day with a 6 pack of budweiser. His old thunderbird aka the thunder chicken always had a collection of empty budweiser cans in the backseat. Whenever Bruce needed to radius in a corner he would grab a budweiser can out of the thunder chicken and use the top of the can to draw the radius. A boat owner one time asked Bruce how he made all of the radius's (sp?) the same. Bruce replied that he "budweisered" the corners. And the term stuck.

And yes when I made my welding table I "budweisered" the corners. Not having a supply of empty budweiser cans on hand I used a soda can which just happen to be the same as a budweiser can.

I've been thinking more about this.
I like the idea of a larger work surface but at this point I don't need it.
I already have one of these tables (appears to be re-branded Nomad) but don't really like the thin surface of the 30" x 20" top.
Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 4.00.46 PM.png

I'm thinking that I'll get a piece of plate, maybe 1/4" and attach it to the top. That should do me for a bit.

Back