Telescoping Jack Screw - FINAL PROJECT

OK

And for the cap, I turn down a bar to .69, then how do the .19 radius?

Last edited:
First, have you spoken to your instructor to try and clear up these questions? If not, then it might be a good time to do so because I am not aware of a ball nosed cutter sized to cut a 0.19 degree radius. Maybe he intends the hole to be bored or drilled to a depth of 0.34"?

To machine the hex, you have to turn your OD down to 1.0046", then cut the flats so the span from flat to flat is 0.87". See this calculator: http://janproducts.com/Distance_across_corners.html

Then you need to turn the end of the work above the hex to a length of 0.530". Then you need to ask the instructor how deep to cut the 0.150" wide relief cut (under the ball) because it isn't called out and we can't infer it with the info in the drawing.

Then you need to file the radius on the end of the ball.

Then you need to make the cap. I'm not sure how he wants it done. I would leave the work long, lock it in a collet block, angle the block to 45 degrees and support the block with a jack or some other support to prevent movement. Then I would cut the V with an end mill. Once the V is cut, part it to length and drill or bore the hole for the ball.

I think there is enough uncertainty here to warrant a discussion with your instructor to clarify the above points.

Last edited:
+1 to the above. Your teacher should be able to tell you everything you need to know in order to finish this project, or he's not doing his job. I'm not saying you shouldn't ask for help here, but it concerns me that you have to.

The radius was changed to .250 instead of .19. Here's what I've got this far.
IMG_20170427_155634.jpg

Typically for adding support to parts as they're being machined. I have one though that I find really useful as a jaw spreader when cutting short lengths on the bandsaw (stops the vise jaws from going cock-eyed). The telescoping ones give larger range in a small package. The setup below isn't mine but it gets the idea across I think.

-frank

image.jpeg

Holy crap that is one helluva set up there. Just about every aid one could think of.

David

Yes, and perhaps the photographer was standing on a milk crate when he took the picture too....

(Like I said, not my setup! :)

-frank

Back