Tensile strength loss with heat

dhidaka

Registered
Registered
What temperature will steel loose tensile strength? Let me explain. I use a moly coating for transmission gears to reduce friction on racing motorcycles. Part of the instructions are to bake the coated gears at 400F for 1 hour. I decided to apply it to the rear drive chain so I thoroughly degreased a new chain and coated the pins, rollers and side plates. My plan was to place the chain in my gas barbecue grill to do the baking process, checking the temp with an infrared thermometer. Long story- short, I got side tracked. Two hours later. I checked the temperature and the chain was 650F. The factory tensile strength is 11,500PSI. Will 650F weaken the chain that I should order a new one? Hope not.

Look at this to see if your metal is there. It will show you what temps will work.

The clip that holds the chain in a loop will be toast. It is a spring steel and 650 will make it no longer a spring. That is the only part I can speak to with experience and that in a non-motorcycle application. The process of installing the clip when it was soft meant it would just fall right off.

But it has been my experience in general that roller chain is not particularly hard. It can be cut with a hacksaw or file pretty easily.

That temp is a little less than a spring temper, chain is a blue temper, that is roughly 600 F. I am not sure that is appropriate for transmission gears, it may be too soft for optimal wear, in spite of the moly.

Most motorcycle chains have O-rings to keep the lubricant inside the rollers. 650 degress might be a bit high for
them. :)

Too risky. Don't bake anything of value like this. I like to use a small muffle furnace, and either Tempilstiks or a K type thermocouple. Tempilstiks are really cheap per use. They last forever.

Back