"Tenths of feet" tape measure

I have a tape from Chappell Timber framing that is in tenths. All the trig that is used it makes sense.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Ah yes, K&E. They made one of the best slide rules ever. Don't guess they make them anymore.:)

Guess not. There's only one slide rule still in production (that I know of) and it's a maker thing...
Granddad's old basic slide rule is a K&E. I looked up the patent (5 June, 1900); one sketch is signed by Willie Keuffel.

I have seen steel rules in a sheet metal shop with odd markings. One side is regular inches. The other side has smaller graduations, 1/Pi x inches. Measure with the small grads to get the diameter. The same number on the inch side will be the circumference. I have never seen a tape made that way, especially not a roll-up tape.

I think Jubil got it right. The inch markings were a little different. The foot & inch marking preceded the inch marking. 2"8" is 32".

That scale was likely used by him during his concrete days . I used a "tenths " tape all the time back when I worked road construction . Some contracts were in metric and some were in feet and tenths . Colorado seemingly had a real hard time deciding just how to measure things LOL .

Back