Tesla Turbine

trapper

Active User
Registered
I thought I might have a go at making up one of these as an attempt to learn about engine building.

The concept seems very simple but should allow me to hone (pardon the pun) my skills. I am thinking on running this on a closed pressured water system driving a flywheel or pulleys......... then maybe move up to a stirling engine

Any views people?

There is a lot of info on the Turbine on the net "trapper". Just "Google" Tesla Turbine Plans. There are a few PDF Files there also. Have fun, sounds interesting.

"Billy G" :))

As Bill G points out, the web has lots of designs for both the Tesla turbine and the Stirling.
Full disclosure: I have not built either.
The Tesla is pretty much a stack of discs, with the design tuned for either liquids such as water, or gases, such as compressed air or steam.
For the turbine you have to make a housing, shaft, high speed bearings, nozzle(s) and the thin discs. I guess the discs are the part that I would have to think about the most.

Seems to me like the Stirling might be the more difficult of the two (perhaps I am naive). The Stirling will involve very close fitting of pistons to cylinders with very low friction. I think there are some members of this forum that have built, or are building various Stirling designs. Put "Stirling" in the search box in the upper right, and see what comes up.
Regards,
Terry S.

Here's a picture of a Tesla Turbine that I made..
I brought a book that contains the plans, if any one is interested, I'll find the book and get the name of the book and the author..
It runs surprisingly well, makes a very pleasant sound, but not as interesting to watch as a "steam" engine.
Dave

DavesTeslaTurbine.JPG

DavesTeslaTurbine.JPG

Here's a picture of a Tesla Turbine that I made..
I brought a book that contains the plans, if any one is interested, I'll find the book and get the name of the book and the author..
It runs surprisingly well, makes a very pleasant sound, but not as interesting to watch as a "steam" engine.
Dave

DavesTeslaTurbine.JPG
Hi Dave i would love to have the details of the Turbine you made let me know where you got the plans. Im building mine for a purpose rather than show Message me at stephen .french@fsmail.net if you find the book . Thanks
Stev

DavesTeslaTurbine.JPG

I found the small book. It's called "Building the Tesla Turbine" by Vincent R. Gingery.

www.gingerybooks.com

I see it is available as an ebook on Kindle from Amazon

Back