Test bar

Thinking about the Edge Technologies test bar, it is important that the lathe be aligned to not turn a taper without the tailstock (two collar or RDM test) . Otherwise, any error would have to be considered when using the bar to align a tailstock. If the bed has a twist, the tailstock would only be aligned at the tailstock position where the test bar was used.

Also, if the tailstock is twisted so the axis of the quill isn't parallel to the spindle axis, the amount of quill extension should be the same as where the alignment was done.

That turned out really nice, Robert! We all need to do the most we can with the machines, tooling, and other resources we have, including our brains, to find ways forward when we appear to be at a dead end. You have done just that, and have found success. There is always more than one way to make a tool or part...

Your test bar is certainly prettier than mine! (Took some photos with my phone, but don't know how to get them to my desktop yet, going there now...)

Needed a way to store it.

I hope the teak will not cause a corrosion problem? Plan B is a clear plastic tube with end caps.
Robert

Needed a way to store it.
(pic, see post above)
I hope the teak will not cause a corrosion problem? Plan B is a clear plastic tube with end caps.
Robert
Very nice, Robert!
I used some white plastic water pipe I had, and bought a cap for one end, and an internally threaded collar and a threaded plug for the other end. I glued the end cap and the threaded collar to the pipe, and when dry wadded up a piece of VPI paper for the inside of the cap, way down in the hole, a cut sheet of VPI paper rolled up to go around the test bar, and another piece of VPI paper stuffed into the threaded plug. I have the photos of it taken on my phone, but I cannot get them to my PC to post here on H-M. Too old of an Android phone... I am still working on it... May have to go to plan B. The test bar will still be protected 50 years from now unless there is a fire.

Reactions: rwm
Back