[How do I?] Test indicator adjustments

B

Brento

Forum Guest
Register Today
Can i adjust my dial indicator needle? I have a fowler indicator and it is like the needle is offset from center. Is it possible to adjust it with the little screw in the picture? I also bought a indicator holder that attaches to a spindle and seems like that is of center as well. Does anyone have an idea of what i could do or a way to find center on that. I was thinking of making a washer for it.

image.jpeg

I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to but the needle is adjustable by pushing it past the limit of reading. You can rotate it towards or away from your thumb in your photo. It's just a friction coupling. Don't play with the screw!

Nope i know about that. It just seems like the needle sits off set on the indicater

As long as it is working, I wouldn't worry about it.

Well i was curious mainly bc when i set it up in the holder that i linked above it was off center. I was trying to indicate a pin and on one side id have it directly in the middle but when i do a full 180 it was off center.

Center the needle not the indicator body on the pin. No big deal.

Thats what i do. I go by the needle but when i rotate as i said it doesnt line up. Has anyone had an issue with that style holder before? Am i using it wrong?

I have a mitutoyo dti with the same problem... you can't use it to indicate on small holes or pins because the needle is 'bent'... I just use it for other things and pull out my Interapid for the small stuff. If you mess with the screws on the side, you may never get it tuned correctly again...

-Bear

Back