Test Indicator???

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys thanks for responding to my other questions on the test indicator holder which going with the one posted Noga with fine adjustment at the base.I know there are others thats better but 90.00 is at my limit,I also know that there are cheaper ones(which I have) but just wanting better.
Test Indicator?Guys I wish I could afford top of the line indicator but I can't so looking at maybe around 100.00 or less range.I don't know the difference between one's that are good for the money or one's not to even look at.But also what about the range I see some have .001,.0001,.0005 I was told that if you get one like the .0001 it will beat you to death trying to dial it in.Which one should a person with limited skills go with,I would like this indicator be a one time purchase to hopefully cover all my needs.I check on ebay and there is page after page of test indicators both new and used which used is a gamble.Any suggestions?

It depends entirely on the work that you do, if you often make parts that require .0005 accuracy to function at all or pass inspection than a .0001 or
finer reading tool is needed.

If you need to measure actual dimensions rather then deviation, such as centering a part in an independent or adjustable lathe chuck, a well made tool is required and may well be more costly than you would like.

Unless you are making parts to a customers requirements just buy tools that fit your own requirements.

And yes, chasing tenths on machines not designed for this type of work will drive you batty. How many mills or lathes have you used that have dials graduated in tenths?

Good point P Waller very well said.I believe just going to look for the .001 which I am guessing will be all this newbie,weekender will ever need.All what I want to do is just for fun but I want what ever it is to be the best that I can do,after all I am moving from a tape measure to dial indicator so lots to learn.

I have had good luck with indicator off of ebay and the like. Often the screws at the hinge point of the styles come loose or worn, but that's an easy adjustment.

I'm gonna throw out my 2 cents worth and let the flame begin. It's quite nice to have really precision equipment but is it really needed for the home shop and even the hobbyist's doing it for monetary rewards. When I was in the trade we would buy inexpensive indicators 4 at a time as they would invariably be knocked on the floor or pitched across the shop. Some of the guys would keep their precision stuff put away unless required and I never felt the need for accuracy. The inexpensive indicators produced accuracy on par with what was needed. I worked as a tool and die maker and shops that required precision work on par with aerospace tolerances and the owners never voice concerns over our production.
My advice is buy what tickles your fancy, if that is a .000001 unobtanium test indicator go for it. For my work the don cheapo indicators work well enough.

Just because an indicator can resolve to .0001" doesn't mean that you have to use it to that resolution. If I am trying to get runout adjusted to less than .001 and am using a .0001"/div. indicator, it means that I just have to get my total swing to less than ten divisions.

On the other hand, if I am really trying to get my runout to say .0002", on a .0005"/div. indicator, I am squinting at it trying to get that last little bit of movement down to zero whereas with the .0001", I have a comfortable two divisions to work with.

The one big drawback with a .0001"/div. test indicator is the limited range. My .0001" test indicator only has a +/- .004" range.

One other thing that came to mind, I couldn't begin to count the number of test indicators in tool chests that were crashed,. Most machinist had at least one (crap happens).

As others indicated, it really comes down to the type of work you plan on doing, the precision of your machine/tooling and frequency/conditions it will be used. If you just need one test indicator as a starter I would suggest a 0.0005" long travel (multi-revolution) type. This is a balance of resolution and travel. Most inexpensive brands work well enough, and are reasonably durable, so something like the ones below if buying new.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AccuRemote...ator-0-06-0-0005-W-3-Carbide-Tip/332561375477
https://www.shars.com/products/meas...0-swiss-type-horizontal-dial-test-indicator-1

You can also look around for used ones locally, as sometimes you can pick up ones inexpensively. There are different variations on models and how they work, but as long as the movement works freely in both directions and the case is not mangled, worth considering. Test indicators are not really ideal for measuring distance as opposed to determining runout or deviation from a set point. The angle of the tip to the part is also different depending on the indicator.

Ten years working in a job shop, 12 years owning one, I've never owned or needed a .0001 indicator.

I've found the .0005 test indicators to be handy when squaring the vise on the mill. They are easy to read. They are worth the $30 these Chinese ones cost just for that. Around the shop, a Princess Auto (kind of a HF) Tedclock .001 clone works fine and I don't worry the least about it making a suicidal leap. But when I did the bearing clearance on the lathe headstock, I went out and purchased a Mitutoyo .0001. dial indicator.

Back