Test Indicator???

For nova style mag bases I've had good luck with CDCO on those. They are the hydraulic pivot type. One knob controls all movements. I have one for a collet for mill. They have different styles and mag ratings. I believe you can pick up a mag base and test indicator .0005 for like thirty bucks. I have several of their indicators and they work pretty good. I've compared reading with my mitutoyo's and their spot on. From what I can tell. And yes you don't need a tenths indicator but how will you ever improve or even know if you don't try. I personally have fun chasing tenths. It's a challenge and rewarding when you accomplish it. It will only make you better.

Everyone has their own opinion on what to buy... so here's my suggestion to you. You are just starting off, learning, etc., and you will make mistakes like the rest of us do. Remember, $hit happens. That's why the first test indicator I bought was a Shars similar to this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shars-Prec...h=item4602a9cf0d:g:YUAAAOSwCHZaqqhc:rk:4:pf:0

It's accurate and good enough for most, if not all, of the work a home hobbyist will do. And, pretty tough when it gets dropped or banged. Even if you break it, just go buy another... they're inexpensive.

So, later on you find you want something better??? Well, then buy a better one to add to your collection. Then your cheaper one can become your "beater". Trust me, you'll want to have a beater to use most of the time and only bring out the big dollar indicator when you really need it. Or at least that is what I do. I don't feel bad dropping or banging my beaters, but my good ones?? OUCH!!!

Over the years most of us build a healthy collection of indicators and other tools, so most likely this won't be the only one you pick up.

Just my two cents,
Ted

Ten years working in a job shop, 12 years owning one, I've never owned or needed a .0001 indicator.
Exactly correct, no pun intended.
If you are a hobbyist chasing tenth's for every part this way madness lies.

You can get New Mitutoyo Indicators for around $100 Ideal Precision often has good deals on their website.

Ebay can be a gamble since even a perfect looking indicator can have a broken bearing or hairspring.

If you can get a good one cheap, then it may be worth repairing. Precision gages...I like to buy new. A good one will last a lifetime.

Swiss Indicators are the best, Mitutoyo Indicators are pretty good and not expensive.

For long run outs, I have a Compac 215GA.
Built to last. But pricey.

Read all the reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/Brown-Sharpe-01889023-Valueline-Indicator/dp/B00IXAL57G
This is a B&S "Valueline" tool. Nowhere on the web could I find a country of origin for that indicator. B&S has recently put their long respected name on a lot of questionable tools. B&S is not at all the only one doing this. Many former top brand names in machinist tools have now squandered their birthright for short term survival. Do your homework before buying anything, don't assume that buzzword tool brands are of decent quality.

Just found this: http://www.longislandindicator.com/p215.html

Edit: Also good reading: http://www.longislandindicator.com/p37.html

Last edited:
Chasing tenths when you don't want to can be madness but chasing tenths when you want to can be fun, educational and rewarding in many ways. My unnecessary tenths indicator is only rarely used but I would not be without it for doing stuff like RJ mentioned above.
It might be difficult for someone who has worked for a living as a machinist to see the point but I can spend as much time on whatever I choose for whatever reason and still have food on the table and a roof over my head.

Good morning guys wanted to say thanks for all the response to my question,I know a little more now than I did before I posted the question as to which one.I did not realize that there are lot of different brands out there and now I see that some of the name brands like a lot other products and tooling is made in china.Thanks Bob and guys to the links that is some good reading which kinda added to my confusion,but I know what to kinda watch out for.Now that I know a few more brands to increase my search which will help my money limits.Since I'm starting out,my skills has a very large tolerance so I believe that the .001 is what I need.The reason given here makes sense and like ya'll saying if the needs arise I can add to my stock as needed.I also just learned to be sure and look at the reviews if buying new from places like Amazon.I do want to kinda window shop at places like Long Island cause I believe that they only sell what works and also provide lots info like the links that Bob provided plus it helps keep business alive.But I don't know if their products falls into my limited funds.So I may roll the dice and see what auction site has to offer but keep looking for new and maybe on sale.:) Thanks again guys

Kroll - also, don't overlook Craig's list... I've snagged some great deals on tools & machines, etc.. This is a good way to buy used and have the opportunity to check the item(s) out before buying.

Ted

Guys thanks for responding to my other questions on the test indicator holder which going with the one posted Noga with fine adjustment at the base.I know there are others thats better but 90.00 is at my limit,I also know that there are cheaper ones(which I have) but just wanting better.
Test Indicator?Guys I wish I could afford top of the line indicator but I can't so looking at maybe around 100.00 or less range.I don't know the difference between one's that are good for the money or one's not to even look at.But also what about the range I see some have .001,.0001,.0005 I was told that if you get one like the .0001 it will beat you to death trying to dial it in.Which one should a person with limited skills go with,I would like this indicator be a one time purchase to hopefully cover all my needs.I check on ebay and there is page after page of test indicators both new and used which used is a gamble.Any suggestions?

All my dti's are second hand I have only bought one that got broken in the post. Get some cheep ones from the ebay perhaps. Normaly abuse is quite easy to see on them, I have noticed the fingure test indicators are much more fragile (from my experience).

Definitely don't only have a 0.0001 inch dti , you will go mad in short order.

:)

The only mag basses I have are quite old , they might have lost some sticking force over the years but generally work ok.

Stu

Back