Testing a dial indicator for measuring force

No, I don't believe he is authorized. MR Tool has a good stock of parts and I guess he has access? Starrett no longer authorizes anyone to repair their tools. He used to work for Brown and Sharpe.

I have sent at least six indicators of my own and a couple dozen that belonged to others to MR Tool Repair and have been completely satisfied with his work. I do not care if he is not authorized, he knows how to fix them so they work well, and they keep on working, no early failures.

Last edited:
Bob, no need to defend him. I am not attacking him. I just wanted to understand the inference that he is "authorized" when another service is not. Emilio cleared that up.

Briefly looking into this in the last couple of days, I have found much positive "forum" press about Mark on other forums and Facebook. He has a dedicated following and that is impressive.

He does not have a website nor does he have a published price list. He does respond to email via the address that Emilio was kind enough to post.

Another +1 for MR Tool Repair.

Very reasonable rates and he does a great job. Quickly responds via email.

He cleaned and replaced the crystal on my B&S 6" Calipers for barely more than what some places charge just for the crystal. Beyond the scuffed crystal, I thought they were in good shape mechanically, but was surprised how smoothly they worked when I got them back.

This reminds me I need to get a box ready to send in some more slightly gimpy indicators.

Back to spring pressure, I took four random Test Indicators, checked .020 movement (pressure on when starting) they averaged about 5 grams per .010 movement. There was very little difference among them, a couple of Federal Testmasters, a Mit and another Federal, something else. Not exactly the same, but all in the same ballpark.

Bob, no need to defend him. I am not attacking him. I just wanted to understand the inference that he is "authorized" when another service is not. Emilio cleared that up.

Briefly looking into this in the last couple of days, I have found much positive "forum" press about Mark on other forums and Facebook. He has a dedicated following and that is impressive.

He does not have a website nor does he have a published price list. He does respond to email via the address that Emilio was kind enough to post.
No defense intended, Alan, just a testimonial. Mark still works a day job (as of a year ago anyway), and repairs indicators and other tools evenings and weekends. His fame has caused his return time to grow longer, though he will take "rush" jobs, ask. If you are not in any hurry, tell Mark so, but be ready to wait a couple months for them to be completed and returned. Note that Mark works on all kinds of tools, ask if you have stuff besides indicators that need repair.

I have sent at least six indicators of my own and a couple dozen that belonged to others to MR Tool Repair and have been completely satisfied with his work. I do not care if he is not authorized, he knows how to fix them so they work well, and they keep on working, no early failures.

This is kind off what I was referring to in my theory vs reality thread . I really wouldn't care if someone was authorized or not either , as long as he keeps his customers satisfied ! :encourage:

Back