The $147.71 Green South Bend (something)

It is a South Bend model c change gear lathe. Yes , those screws hold the lead screw support on . There are two on the other end that hold the other screw support. They are right.... do not mess with them unless you intend to dismantle the machine to restore. It looks to be a nice lathe especially for the price.

I live in one of the small eastern states and I don't consider that very far. I'm sure you're causing some head scratching among other members. I do realize gas is expensive there.
/
Again, my thanks to all for your interest and help. Now that I have it, I am starting to appreciate that it was and is a famous American brand!
Of course, it is immediately useful for the small turning jobs I do (involving vintage airplanes), but I think the lathe itself ultimately deserves attention in it's own right. I will clean up, repair/replace what may be needed. Over time, I suppose it will end up "restored".

Re: the distance. It is not all about the fuel, but to address that first. Fuel here, at one stage hit £1.41/litre.
For a U.S. gallon, that is $8.40. Now it has slid back some to around £1.12/litre ($6.20 per US gallon).
For driving, the scene is a whole lot more wearisome than eating up the miles on a fast road across a US State.
Starting out at 08:00 from London area, to Newcastle is only 300 miles on the road. That is going to take all day!
One is unlikely to see the destination before 17:00.
To try straight across London is a very bad idea, and if the number plate enters the congestion charge area, that is £11.50 ($16.82).

This time, to get to the Essex destination, I had to travel around 20m South of London to meet up with the truck, then a bit South again to get the notorious M25 anti-clockwise, and I was glad I was not on the opposite carriageway (they call them that here). Then the Dartford Tunnel, under the Thames with number-plate recognition toll. Once found, we unbolted it from the bench. I got the "heavy" end!
The reverse journey (+another toll)had to include a food/fuel stop off the motorway.

Maybe 188mile round trip is not such a big deal, especially straight West, but is more significant when, in the face of wifely disapproval, one is hauling "that piece of Yankee machinery" instead of tackling other household jobs. She is OK with it now, and even in "tasteful green", I am liking it. It has to be a bargain! I would expect more to be bid on the two 4-jaw chucks alone.

Hi
Welcome, there is a small UK membership, you may find interesting.

Jeff

A side note here.............In my part of the world I saw a SB 9 with tooling sell for $2500 US. I venture to think some of my friends would make the trip from US to UK to pick up a deal like that.

Tim

The two screws in your picture are there to hold the lead screw support to the bed. Removing these screws will release the lead screw support (which is a babbit bearing) and the lead screw can be removed once the gear is removed from the headstock end. The other slightly smaller screws you see along the length of the front way hold the rack gear to the underside of the bed. Removing these screws simply releases the rack gear.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this question:
"One first question is .. the front bed slide has screws along it's length, two of which are only just visible between the saddle and the tailstock. Is that a removable replaceable part?"

The lead screw, rack gear, and carriage support are all replaceable. The "front bed slide" -I'm assuming you mean the front way- is not a removable or replaceable part. The ways are ground into the bed. You can have the ways reground, but it's extraordinarily expensive, generally costing more than these lathes are worth. It should be noted that South Bend 9 beds did not have hardened ways, and thus it is quite common to find wear on them.

The green looks very British to me. I would just name it "Green Goddess" and start making parts!

BTW. There is a renown U.K. Antique machinery web site that has an extensive South Bend section. See http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbend/index.html and look for South Bend 9 info.

As I remember, several U.K. Manufactures reproduced South Bend clones during the war years, that were nearly exact duplicates, save for some of the gear protective housings. Tony will know something about them. He will respond to your email, if you desire to inquire. Maybe yours is one of these !

Cheer-O!
Glenn

Back