The 1935 Craftsman/Walker-Turner 15 Inch Drill Press Mystery

Great history lesson. Now I know to look at those old dusty drill presses.

I have not read a non fiction book in awhile, I actually read it cover to cover :)

20220716_160944.jpgI think I may have the same 15" Craftsman. Got it in a swap for a chintzy, modern bench top drill press. It is very, very heavy. What do you think CPO Ted?

I think I may have the same Craftsman drill press. I traded as small, modern drill press for it. It's very heavy. What do you think, CPO Ted?

I think I may have the same Craftsman drill press. I traded as small, modern drill press for it. It's very heavy. What do you think, CPO Ted?

FAR OUT!!!! By my eye I think you have a 1935 Craftsman/Walker-Turner 15" bench model in VERY nice condition. I note the horizontal "Craftsman" cast into the head, the left hand (facing) belt-tension knob ... and the absence of an ID tag on the base.

I also think you made a very good trade.

Would you mind if I updated my research by the inclusion of your photos? Could I ask you to post more photos ... front (to include the SKF decal, left side, the motor and any tags on the motor?

Thank you very much for sharing this!!!

HHHhmmmmmmm. As I think on it ... I'm not sure why I'm so happy about this. I am making a very rare 1935 one year only drill press somewhat less rare. ;) :grin big:

Hey buddy ... you go ahead and post ALL of those photos you sent me. This 87 year old drill press is complete and correct to the tag on the motor ... and I can't even spot ONE nick in the table. It really is in VERY good condition and I think most folks would love to see it.

You mentioned a noise, and you mentioned wanting to replace the belt.

1. Any irregularity (a split, a tear) in the belt can cause a noise. So can a very old belt that is so old and inflexible it has taken a "set".

2. Loose pulleys can make a noise. Check to see that the screws that bind the pulley in place on its shaft aren't loose.

3. The bearings and "other things" in the motor can make a noise.

4. Those wonderful SKF bearings in the head can make a noise.

MAKING CERTAIN THAT MY HAIR IS SECURE AND WILL NOT GET CAUGHT IN THE BELT/PULLEYS, with the machine running, I would take a long screw driver, hold the butt-end of the handle against my ear and press the tip against various places on the motor and on the head where the bearing live. I have done this millions of times and know it should locate the noise pretty quickly.

Changing the belt or disassembling the head on these is a little tricky because of ONE part. I am planning to do another article on the disassembly of this drill press that will show how to do it.

One more thing ... most drill presses run way too fast do drill harder grades of steel. If you are going to drill a lot of metal, you might want to invest in a slo-speed kit. You can find them on ebay: (click Here)

As requested, more pics of the drill press.

Attachments

• 20220727_192728.jpg
    20220727_192728.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220727_193000.jpg
    20220727_193000.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220727_192805.jpg
    20220727_192805.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220727_192750.jpg
    20220727_192750.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220727_192736.jpg
    20220727_192736.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 9
A little backgroung on my DP - sometime in the 50's it was purchased from the guy with his name scratched on it (Dague) by a Mr. Fletcher in San Juan Capistrano, CA. Mr. Fletcher had an extensive shop of his own and worked for a local fabrication business. It was passed down to his daughter Mary in Durango, CO. after his death. It was just too much drill press for my friend Mary so we worked out a trade for my 10 yo Craftsman benchtop DP which was smaller and much, much lighter plus a shop heater. It now lives in Bisbee AZ. and soon will be moved to a 3 bay garage and shop here that I am renovating. Hopefully, it will not need to be moved again untill after my passing, lol.

One more thing ... most drill presses run way too fast do drill harder grades of steel. If you are going to drill a lot of metal, you might want to invest in a slo-speed kit. You can find them on ebay: (click Here)
CPO Ted, I have an old walker turner "the driver line"---(on a brass oval tag on the left side) and I have been reading your thread with great interest. I will post pictures of my WT bench model but I have a question for you on slo-speed kit---because mine has a beveled pinion on shaft from back large belt pulley to a large beveled gear secured above the top large pulley on drill shaft. I was wondering if this was an option years ago or did a PO make the change to slow it down? also maybe you may know what year mine was made since it is not a craftsman. I will include a couple pictures of it now and include some better pictures and info on it tomorrow.
Dave

Attachments

• davids camera 5-2012 173.jpg
    davids camera 5-2012 173.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 19
  • davids camera 5-2012 180.jpg
    davids camera 5-2012 180.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    553.2 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF0007.JPG