The 9x20 Mods Thread

Re: 9x20 tool post flex

Instead of just relying upon the 3 central bolts to pull the compound onto the donut would it be worthwhile to add a recessed bolt through the donut into each corner of the compound making a total of 7 bolts fixing it?​

Asian 9x20, some rusty files and a hammer

Last edited by a moderator:

• Re: 9x20 tool post flex
    At last I've finished it.
    Took longer than I thought as I had to make a couple of fittings and decide upon the order of work but only two days once I started.
    The first job was single point threading the 14mm shaft then drilling and tapping the bottom end 6mm.
    I made a test chunk with a 14x1.25 tapped hole to test the thread and it felt very good. (photos are too blurry to upload)
    Next I made some clamps and bored the compound 12mm then used the tap to finish the thread.
    tapping top slide.jpg

Reassembled the compound with the new 14mm shaft and turned down a bolt head to make the spacer to (in my mind) strengthen the fitting.
    The drawing gives the dimensions
    parts.jpg

bolt, spacer, countersunk 6mm bolt, bottom of compound showing the recess left after removing the original shaft.
    I countersunk the spacer with a walmart special countersink that I thought had no chance of doing the job but I was pleasantly surprised.
    countersinking.jpg

The fixing from underneath, a tight fit and flat.
    underneath.jpg

The whole unit is assembled with high strength lock tight so I hope I dont have to disassemble it in the close future.
    The first tryout was like chalk and cheese for flex compared with before so now its the turn of the donut then brass gibbs.
    I forgot to take a pic fully reassembled but we all know what it looks like.

So much to do so little time.​

countersinking.jpg parts.jpg tapping top slide.jpg underneath.jpg

• Got the donut finished (almost) today. The scale and rust on the outer surface of the plate I used took the edges of of 4 tool bits by the time I had it clean enough to work.

donut.jpg
    Now to drill the holes but I dont have any transfer punches and its sunday.
    So I annealed a cheap nail punch, turned it to the 7.3mm of the holes in the original degree disk, then hardened it again.

transfer punch.jpg

It worked. I drilled these holes at .2mm over size of the thread dia and they fit. They are not equi-spaced around the centre so the holes have to use the transfer punch.
    I'm now waiting for the high tensile button head screws so the counter bore is the minimum depth I can get to maximise the amount of metal left.

donut2.jpg

From the other side.
    I still think I will drill and tap the 4 corners of the compound to take 5mm dia high tensile bolts as I'm sure that will make it even more rigid as only 3 bolts in a small circle in the middle of the compound surely cannot be as rigid as more bolts spread over a larger area.

donut1.jpg

donut.jpg donut2.jpg donut1.jpg transfer punch.jpg

Last edited:

• Ouch! no shop time for 2 weeks but at last its finished.
    From underneath showing the counter bores. These were done with an old drill ground down to size with the angle grinder.
    donut bottom.jpg

the inside of the donut and also showing the 4 extra tapped holes in the top slide.

donut top.jpg

All bolted up nice and tight and although I couldnt get an answer on the 4 extra bolts question I went with the assumption the 7 bolts is better then 3.
    bolted up.jpg
    All in place a clamped down. The large gap where the gibb strip is urgently needs filling with a new brass one.:makingdecision:

in place.jpg

My first test was to part some gummy hot rolled steel. Not a jot of judder, chatter, grabbing, stalling or whatever, it cut long rolled up strips of swarf the width of the blade. I was totally wrapped. I have never parted so effortlessly since I bought the lathe. :victory:
    All the apprehension I have suffered in the past with parting has now been put to rest.

parting.jpg

All I can say is dont waste your time with the 4 bolt ring clamp like I did go straight for this its the real business.
    I am now of the firm belief that this is the very first mod that should be done to this machine.
    The difference between before and after is like chalk and cheese
    I think this warrants making a plinth as well as suggested by "lear133"

parting.jpg in place.jpg donut bottom.jpg donut top.jpg bolted up.jpg

Last edited:

Well, the pics are back but for some reason they all added themselves at the end of the first post I tried to edit.
Then when I tried to edit the second set firefox refused to load the page. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh. no patience to try again for the moment.

Well, the pics are back but for some reason they all added themselves at the end of the first post I tried to edit.
Then when I tried to edit the second set firefox refused to load the page. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh. no patience to try again for the moment.

I spaced them out best I could. One is missing.

When you insert, select "insert image" then "insert" when you select the image, then hit "done".

That should do it.

Many thanks Nels, thats as good as its going to get.
I wonder what happened and why to loose the images from my uploads.

Boy am I glad this one is back.

"Billy G"

Savarin,

you and others can still edit your posts to replace any lost photos.

Thanks.

Let's take the Top Slide up one more level Charles. In replacing my Top Slide with one of Tool Steel I found another reason why I took it off in the first place.. It's the size of the hand wheel. I think we can boost the size to 3" diameter. By offsetting it and raising it up a bit using a 3 gear train it should be feasible. 3 Boston Gear G-175 spur gears should be perfect. I will post a print shortly and ask for thoughts.

"Billy G"

Back