The bazzionth band saw question...

A VFD is used to create variable output frequency to drive a 3 phase motor. The EBay listing shows this unit is designed for single phase input but scroll down and you will see it creates 3 phase output.

To use a VFD you will need to replace the single phase motor with a 3 phase motor. I did this for a metal lathe. A number of folks on the forum have done this for their machines.

A VFD is used to create variable output frequency to drive a 3 phase motor. The EBay listing shows this unit is designed for single phase input but scroll down and you will see it creates 3 phase output.

To use a VFD you will need to replace the single phase motor with a 3 phase motor. I did this for a metal lathe. A number of folks on the forum have done this for their machines.

I see now. Thanks.

To use a VFD you will need to replace the single phase motor with a 3 phase motor.

All you really need to do is remove the run capacitor. The start and run capacitors simply converts a 3 phase motor to run on 1 phase.

Is everyone sure of that? Seems to me that mine will do selectable single or polyphase and just vary the frequency, which would change the motor output speed. not really sure

I do not think 3 phase motors have start or run capacitors, at least the 3 phase motor I have does not have any capacitors. The phase difference between the 3 phases creates the motor rotation.

My single phase motors have capacitors, some single so just start, some two so a start and a run.

I have a harbor freight 14 inch bandsaw and I've cut tons of aluminum with it with a regular wood blade. most bandsaw and jigsaw blades for metal have teeth way to small for aluminium and clog up fast. use larger tooth wood blades for much better results

I understand that VFD is a 3 phase controller. There are single phase variable speed drives though. Just looked at the manual for my lathe / mill combo - sorry the wiring diagram is useless. Just seems a way to vary your existing single phase motor would be the best approach dollar wise.

I do not think 3 phase motors have start or run capacitors,

Correct they do not.

at least the 3 phase motor I have does not have any capacitors. The phase difference between the 3 phases creates the motor rotation.

My single phase motors have capacitors, some single so just start, some two so a start and a run.

SP motors with one capacitor use the capacitor for both starting and running, these motors have rather low TQ at startup.

The second capacitor (start) makes bigger phase angle on the 3rd pole increasing low RPM TQ. After the motor reaches 1/2 speed (or so) a switch takes this start capacitor out of the circuit and the run capacitor provides all the phase shift.

I have the same G0513 bandsaw. I would not want to try cutting aluminium. The slowest speed is too fast. Even with an appropriate blade the speed could result in too much heat and cold welding of the chips in the gullet.

I tried cutting a piece of aluminium bar with my jigsaw and metal cutting blade. It did not go well. I looked at the blade after initial attempt to cut. Pieces of aluminium were cold welded in the gullets. I had to remove them one-by-one. I then slowed down the speed and my manual feed rate and eventually got the piece cut, but I will not be trying this again. Back to the old and trusty hacksaw. A lot of elbow grease to make it work, but it does work.

I also would not want metal particles getting into the bandsaw tyres. I expect some would come out later when cutting wood and find their way into the wood, at least that would be my luck.
You need to use kerosene or WD 40 to lubricate aluminum when cutting on most any saw, or any other machine tool for that matter, or you will get chip welding; its the nature of the beast.

Back