The Beast Rises: Introducing the Mighty Monarch!

Thank you for that insight Karl! I was pretty sure the "X" pattern was for the lube to flow through, but I was concerned about the amount of straight-line scratching - but I'm not going to doing production work so I'm not overly concerned!

As to the fitting: It looks like a grease nipple to me, and there appears to be grease residue in the oil grooves. I'm guessing this was a later addition and I should keep an eye out for oil cups that will fit?

Thanks!

P.S. Thanks for the info on babbitt casting, I built a foundry so if worse comes to worse, I CAN make new ones.

Aaaah, I see - that makes a lot of sense now. I think I'll rebuild the old girl with the oil drip, since I have access to things like Amazon that previous owners didn't. But I think I'm still going to focus on getting garage space cleared and some 240 lines run at the moment - I'll put the oil glasses on my Christmas list!

You can contact Monarch. They still have parts for most of their lathes.

Great parts and service at monarch...

But they must all be gold plated, judging by the price. I guess I don't blame them, having a HUGE inventory of parts that hardly move has to be expensive.

Don't think they are babbit metal, can you seperate the bearing from the cast iron cap? Usually babbit bearings finish flush with the cap outer surface so that it can be damned with clay when the babbit is poured, these look more like bronze bearings, and if indeed monarch carry spares, they must be, babbit is always poured in situ. it is white in colour, and fairly soft. I have a very similar lathe to this, a Covmac although mine is made a bit later, with a geared head

IMGP2150.JPG

IMGP2149.JPG

Be careful with the shims,keep them as a set side to side ,and dont lose or crumple any of the paper thin ones........if shims are lost,then you got problems ....a few scratches wont hurt.......a jammed spindle from lost or transposed shims will.

I agree with hermetic, those are bronze shell bearings. Probably lots of life left in them.

Greg

Bronze shells lined with thin babbit............many auto bearings have babbit lined bronze or steel shells ,with the babbit only 005 " thick.......if the bearing picks up ,the babbit runs and frees the journal........bronze bearings seize hard and score the shaft.

Back