The Charter Oak 12z bed mill discussion thread

Why am I already thinking of CNC'ing the 12z...somebody hit me in the head with a large tool. :think1:

Dunno (why you're thinking that). But if you have the requirement to make multiple pieces of the same design, then I can think of worse machines to do so with.

Fortunately, I am not plagued with that thought as all of the work I do is one-off so spending time to make a drawing/tool path for a CNC makes no sense to me.

For now.

Dunno (why you're thinking that). But if you have the requirement to make multiple pieces of the same design, then I can think of worse machines to do so with.

Fortunately, I am not plagued with that thought as all of the work I do is one-off so spending time to make a drawing/tool path for a CNC makes no sense to me.

For now.

Bill, up until about a year ago I had the same feelings that you do. What I found is that even on a one-off part, depending on the complexity, if it has a long cycle time, it allows me on work on something else while the part is running. For instance, I have a part ready to go in the mill right now that has a 115 minute run time for one operation. I could do it by hand, but doing with the CNC allows me to work on another project at the same time, so in this case I can double bill my shop hours. Even if I was working on my own project, I could still be productive doing something else, like surfing H-M

For now.

CNC comes in handy, for example to position the machine for manually drilling a precise bolt hole pattern or for that matter quickly drawing a bolt hole pattern. Time is part of the equation. I have a day job already, director with a bunch of people under me so my time is limited. Of course when it comes to arcs that require concurrent X,Y moves CNC is king, then there's 3D machining. Now I will say this, I already have my multi-thousand dollar 3D OneCNC XR2 Mill CAD/CAM software so that investment is bought and paid for already.

After my early model IH CNC mill fiasco I vowed 'never again'. I vowed if ever I wanted a CNC mill again I'd buy a real one. I have been eyeing a Haas Super Mini Mill 2 for some time. But that's $68k optioned out and that's without tooling, add another $30k for a shop to put it in. I could afford it but if I'm honest its a stupid purchase for hobby work and $98k would buy a lot of CNC time at any local machine shop with mills far larger and faster than a mini mill. So as much as I drool at the thought of a Haas its ridiculous really. Now prototyping on a $12k CO type CNC mill that's a motor cycle, half the cost of a fishing boat, its within the realm of toys.

Two things concern me based on my prior experience, Z axis repeatability and X,Y backlash. The thing is half useless if it can't maintain Z position through multiple Z axis moves. As for X,Y backlash machine a circle, if it looks like two halves of a circle slightly offset that's FAIL!. I have more :think1: to do on this.

I understand the 'time constraint' thingie. I too manage (bunch of engineers at Micron) and highly value my personal time. I'm just into more hand crafting, which is why I like to do custom work on pistols and revolvers. I was offered a job as a pistolsmith for one of the top guys in the country years back, but the best way to kill a hobby IMO is to turn it into your day job. That and the owner wanted me to submit two guns to the pistolsmith guild within the first year. Sounded too much like work to me. Hobbies are supposed to be FUN. :))

Guys, Maker of Things posted in my "I ordered a mill" thread with a pic of him standing next to his machine. Maybe I'm too easily impressed...but wow.

Bill, I'm blushing I've been called a lot of things but never... oh you meant the mill.

Brother I thought the same thing till I seen how fast it works. My teacher could have a drawing and cutter path for bout any shaft ready to run before you could load the stock proper. Really all you need is one done, then change the info to fit. I seen the pics of the 12. It does look like a very fine machine.

For now.

...hi I'm Charles I'm a machine-o-holic, its been 2 hours since I drooled over a Haas super mini mill 2 with a side mount tool changer.:drool:

and then on your way out the door, you passed by the Haas VF2....

Also add a 8% sales tax on the Grizzly machines for me. Those box ways are sexy though.
10% off coupon is available at Grizzly until 9/30...

That cancels out the state tax. :phew:

You are a brave man to tread the same ground twice after your previous experiences with IH. That company has been bounced around quite a bit over the past 8 years; hopefully CO settles things down and starts pumping out a good product. At least you can hear Miller's opinion when he gets his machine on Monday.

and then on your way out the door, you passed by the Haas VF2....

You meant to say VF2SS, my brother owned one, you want to talk pucker factor let that think rapid at 1400ipm "jawdrop:

Back