The Charter Oak 12z bed mill discussion thread

I initially considered the CNC version of the 12z. That envelope IS quite impressive, but I just couldn't wrap my head around how an outfit that neglects their website so much could possibly be counted on for design quality and support of their CNC mill. I mean...it's their storefront for crying out loud. This initial presence to the customer runs as slow as molasses. Its their business card, their lobby, their receptionist, their eSalesman, and their showroom floor. I'm not driving 2000mi each way to look at one in person. Please, help a brother out with something more substantial to review than a brief sales pitch along side four grainy 267x400 jpegs of your marquis product!

Some might poo-poo that opinion as irrelevant to the machine, and indeed that could well be the case, but from the perspective of a customer with cash-in-hand hundreds of miles away looking at making a $12,000+ investment in his future, it is sorely un-reassuring to say the least. Would you buy from a new car dealer that doesn't bother to mow the lawn or sweep the showroom floor? (perhaps, if the price reflected that omission and you knew you could take it somewhere else for service)

Truly, I wish CO the best and hope that if they do read this that they would consider this post as intended; honest constructive criticism from this customer's perspective.

Chip I don't disagree the CO web site is lacking and slow. I don't see the belt drive conversion listed on their site at all or that fact that it boosts spindle speed to 5,000+ rpm which to me is a big selling point. So they are shooting themselves in the foot a bit. That said some of the major auto manufacturers web sites are pathetic. Haas has a great web site...when it works I can't tell you how frequently their build a Haas has been broken. So point taken but not sure I would call it a deal breaker. Just my 2 cents worth.

Here's a couple video's of the belt drive conversion by the guy who builds them for CO. Top spindle speed 5,300 rpm. Looks like he has a 2 speed belt drive conversion out now also.

[video=youtube;4dmfP5i2syQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dmfP5i2syQ[/video]

[video=youtube;HeoKGTWeBEU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeoKGTWeBEU&list=UUOtPHVL6Qi-LuJp17ASrBww[/video]

Wow. Looks like a pulley drive is in my future as well.

I too have been frustrated with their website, but it is getting better (content) and faster over the last few days. Maybe I should have stipulated that some of the money I paid them goes to their website. :)

None of these machine sites are perfect. Grizzly has the wrong thumbnails under some machines and the site occasionally hangs. PM just changed the 'updated' date on their home page, but most of the sub pages are still the same. I could go on, but I'm just making a point not digging on websites as a whole.

I wasn't convinced to put my money down until I had a few conversations with Paul and one of the support guys there at CO. I've been burned by pretty websites with lots of glitz and inaccuracies or omissions before. So I 'window shop' the company's website, but I want to talk to someone and even get a email history trail before I plunk down any money. But I can even point to a very recent case where NONE of this helped. So at some point, the talk stops and a leap of faith (for lack of a better phrase) is needed. If you think that a cool website is going to prevent post sale problems in the future, I wish you luck.

So, I just jumped off a cliff. Again. We'll see how it turns out over the next few weeks. :))

WR I predict after you experience a few hours of 100+ decibel WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA from the gear head a belt conversion will be in your future. I do still need to speak with both Arizonavideo and CO about torque as typically you don't get something for nothing.

Get some! Note he's using a 4hp motor...

[video=youtube;hwCsD10Fwtg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwCsD10Fwtg&feature=player_embedded[/video]

WR I predict after you experience a few hours of 100+ decibel WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA from the gear head a belt conversion will be in your future. I do still need to speak with both Arizonavideo and CO about torque as typically you don't get something for nothing.

Maybe I'll have to wrap the head in a blanket for the short term. :lmao:

What are you hearing about the torque issue? You are correct of course. There are tradeoffs to any power transmission system. I won't be stressing this machine like some will, so I doubt I will need that full 3HP. I will be curious as to what you find out though.

Dave's here's a pretty good in depth review of the 9901

[video=youtube;kyDuqwuczts]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyDuqwuczts[/video]

Maybe each mill is different, or maybe I just have different expectations than many. I don't find the stock mill to be "loud". Seems about on par with a sewing machine to me, just the sound come from a bit higher off the ground. I don't find it uncomfortable, unlike my craftsman 26 gallon air compressor, I can't even think when that thing is running.

Back