The correct stock size for threading 3/8-16 stud

If we are talking odd ball threads, here is another one: I have a set of taps and dies that are nominally sized, but plus 1/32", like 5/8-11+1/32; they were used for threading pump rods and couplings when the old pumps were used that had the cylinder at the bottom of the well and the rod operated it from mechanism above ground, be it a windmill or power driven pump jack.

A 100 million + mars space went kapoot a few years ago because NASA forgot to covert from english to metric. :oops2:

One may purchase oversized and undersized taps for holes in parts that will later be plated or hardened.

Yes, I had a set of them (oversize taps) at my shop, they were marked (+5), that is, .005 oversize. Some of our readers may not know that steel swells when hardened. Plating only effects the mouth of the tapped hole, at least in the case of relatively small holes due to the lack of circulation of the electrolyte through the hole, and I think a cathode is required in a hole plus circulation for effective plating in holes.

Back