The Downside to a Nicely Ground Table... :(

Two pieces of 1/16th inch thick Aluminum sheet. Put a one inch bend on the front edge and trim one side edge to fit snuggly to the outline of your vise. Just set them on the table. They stay put and are easy to remove. Also provide an easy reminder of where to locate the vise.

I was thinking of getting some rubber sheets to protect mine.

I checked into that thick rubber stuff that some folks here use and man that stuff is way to expensive for me nowadays. I found some rolls of 30 cm thick magnetic sheets on Ebay. Apparently some of the thinner stuff is not so good. The magnetic sheets are cheap enough that I can try this without causing myself too my discomfort. :)

You don't feel the magnetic sheets will be difficult to clean? Well, it won't be for the non-magnetic materials.

You don't feel the magnetic sheets will be difficult to clean? Well, it won't be for the non-magnetic materials.

That immediately came to mind Randy, but thought I'd give them a try anyway. I am unable to fabricate metal covers as I have no brake or shears. Those were on the list of things to get before I quit working. The untimely layoff kinda put a major kink in the plans I had laid out... :rolleyes:

Such is life. :)

That immediately came to mind Randy, but thought I'd give them a try anyway. I am unable to fabricate metal covers as I have no brake or shears. Those were on the list of things to get before I quit working. The untimely layoff kinda put a major kink in the plans I had laid out... :rolleyes:

Such is life. :)

Well, I made mine out of aluminum. I believe 1/4 thick, needed enough thickness for the flat head screws.

Table_Cover-1.JPG

Table_Cover-2.JPG

Besides the glare issue, having half your table heated by the sun and causing a temperature differential (and thus expansion differential) is probably not the best thing for accuracy. I have always heard that you shouldn't put machine tools where the sun can shine on them for this reason.

I'd have to look up the coefficient of expansion on cast iron, but as the sun is quite low on the horizon now, and the fact that it (sun) is shining on a 3 1/2" thick piece of cast iron that weighs hundreds of pounds, I am not sure just how much it would throw things off? I'm pretty sure I'd not notice a few tenths (.0001) of expansion as I typically don't come close to attempting that kind of accuracy. Now if I was trying to make my own air bearing... :)

I suspect that the ambient air temp delta between early morning (high 30s/low 40s), to late afternoon (low to high 60s/low 70s) would have more of an impact on any accuracy variances in my machines. But again, I suspect that the accuracy delta is under that which I typically shoot for (.001-.0005) when I am trying to be precise. I have learned that I save myself considerable time, effort, and aggravation if I only worry about holding to close tolerances where absolutely necessary, and using 'good enough' everywhere else. I find I have a more enjoyable time in the shop that way. :D

But thanks for the heads up. :encourage:

The temperature differential during the day between morning and evening, while not ideal, heats and cools the entire machine evenly. The sun shining on one end of the table only heats that end, which means there is likely some bending and twisting going on, however small. Precision scraping straightedges come with wooden handles so your body heat from handling them doesn't warp them during use. You probably wouldn't see any issue with it with normal parts and on a hobby du tymachine it probably doesn't make any difference. On a production machine running every day all day long it would likely lead to accelerated wear, as the deformation would lead to rubbing.

Back