The End Of Enco?

I started buying from Enco back in the 80's also. I was lucky enough to have one of their stores not too far from here. It closed in the mid 90's and I miss it, but I have done quite a bit of mail order business with them, never a problem or a complaint. As some of you have mentioned, MSC prices don't even compare with Enco's, though I don't understand why. I figured something was up when I stopped receiving Enco discount emails and started receiving them from MSC instead. I will not say for sure just yet what I intend to do, but since I have been a happy Shars customer as well, I suspect that I will look there first. I guess I can say goodbye to discounts from MSC, I rarely ever purchase anything of any great value anymore, as I have already purchased most of the major items that I need for my shop. I guess time will tell the tale, but I will miss Enco, I've purchased quite a few things from them over the years.

I don't know how they could go out of business, they get a lot of my money. Not a fan of MSC. They always screw you on shipping.

I will miss those sales from Enco. For MSC prices, I can just order from McMaster Carr, being in CA I get two day shipping with regular UPS. I suspect that they were rolled into MSC not because they weren't making money, but because they could lay off a bunch of staff to save money by consolidating. I'm curious to see what happens, but I don't have much hope that this won't screw things up. MSC is obviously targeted at large business customers that place orders of thousands, if not tens of thousands of dollars at a time, and I don't see that changing.

Well its official. I just got an email from MSC saying Enco will become MSC.

They say they will offer the same prices as we are paying at Enco and have additional weekly promotions. And they have set me up with a new MSC account number.

I would post the entire email, but I'm on my phone and can't do that. If I think about it I will do that after work today.

I guess I'm skeptical about the same prices and promotions. I use Enco almost weekly and at MSC prices I will be buying a lot less and shopping on EBay.

I get both Enco and MSC discount offers through email. MSC does not even come close to Enco's offering and discounts. I guess we will see how it goes in August, but I suspect I will be buying from Shars if MSC does not continue the pricing and discounting that Enco offered.

Just for grins I went to msc site and looked up "vactra" to see what a gallon of #2 way oil costs. $37.91. Even if I buy over $149 worth of stuff and get 25% off the gallon still costs $28.43
Current Enco web price $18.00

Somehow I don't see the Enco pricing model porting over when they flip the switch!

This is the reply I got when I asked if Enco was closing:

"Hi Charles,

We are excited to announce that effective August 27, 2016, Enco business will be integrating into its' parent company, MSC Industrial Supply Co. Joining these two companies will seamlessly consolidate Enco under one of the strongest brands in industrial supply and provides you with access to everything you need, all in one convenient place.

For now, you can continue to shop with Enco under your Enco account number shown below. You can still place an order with Enco at our website http://www.use-enco.com or call us toll-free 800-873-3626. You're also welcome to shop with MSC or learn more about this change by visiting MSC's website at http://www.mscdirect.com/enco.

Either way, we appreciate your business and we look forward to assisting you in the future with your machinery and tooling needs. If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Doug - Enco Operations

Monday, June 20, 2016"

Back