The evolution in my search for a milling machine and how I got to the PM 833 t

. . . trimmed . . . As far as money pits go, machining is almost as bad, or worse, than owning a boat. Ain't life grand?
Nope - I'm afraid I have to disagree with you, I've used the shop tools to make parts for da Boat. :grin:
Said Boat never did anything for the Shop. :grin:
That being said, haven't had the boat in water for over (4) years and the lower end froze and cracked.
And I thought I'd drained all the water out of her. . . :( Can't bring myself to scrap her, yet.

Yeah, but Dan, a boat has a theoretical limit to what you can do to it or buy for it. Not so with hobby machining - it never ends, ever. Some of us can somewhat limit it because we may have other priorities, like food or housing and other silly things like that but as sure as night follows day, the "need" will exert itself upon you. And we on the forum will be right here to help you spend your money!!!

Ok, I decided to go for the 835s and go for broke. Already sent Matt a few k to hold it for me until I’m back from my trip and then I’m going to put the rest on the cc and have it sent down here and have at it. I guess how I get to buy it all sorts of gifts, like a set of end Mills, fly cutter, DRO, and then I guess I’m gonna have to tram it so a dial indicator, already got the vice, clamps, Percision Chuck and the collets, so what’s a few hundred more.

As others have pointed out, there is really no limit to how much it is possible to spend on shop stuff. A good rule to follow is: "Don't purchase toys on credit." In fact, if you ever carry a balance on the CC, then no more tools until the card is cleared.

One approach on acquiring tooling is to only purchase something when you have a task you "need" to do. A lot of people (myself included), buy tooling because it would sure be useful - but it sits for years because the right kind of job has not come along.

If the funds are tight, hold off on the DRO. A DRO is really nice, but milling machines were in use doing very good work for many decades before any sort of DRO was available. A DRO is really nice, but the majority of the benefit can be achieved by careful use of the handwheels, felt pen marks, pocket calculator, spreadsheet, tape measure. Learn to use the machine with the dials, then when you do get the DRO - you will truly appreciate it.

As others have pointed out, there is really no limit to how much it is possible to spend on shop stuff. A good rule to follow is: "Don't purchase toys on credit." In fact, if you ever carry a balance on the CC, then no more tools until the card is cleared.
Amen, David. H-M members would do well to frame that message where they can see it every day.

I HAVE HAD MY PM-833T FOR OVER A YEAR NOW .

MINE IS OUTFITTED WITH THE POWER FEED ON THE X & Z AXIS .
NO TWO WAYS ABOUT IT , THESE ARE MUST HAVES IN MY BOOK .

I ALSO HAVE THE EASSON 3 AXIS READOUT , MY OWN INSTALLATION .
ONCE AGAIN A MUST HAVE ITEM , IT IS TWICE THE MACHINE WITH THE READOUT .

I HAVE THE MILL MOUNTED ON A 33 INCH 5 DRAWER VIDMAR CABINET .
THERE IS A 3/8" THICK ALUMINUM PLATE TO SPREAD OUT THE LOAD .
THE EXTRA HEIGHT IS GREAT FOR SOMEONE OVER 6" TALL .

I REALLY DO LIKE THIS MILL BUT HAVING RUN BRIDGEPORTS FOR MANY YEARS
I CAN SAY IT DOES NOT HAVE THE VERSATILITY OR RIDGIDITY .

IT IS AN EXCELLENT TABLE MILL & I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO TURN OUT SOME
REALLY NICE WORK ON IT . IT DOES A FANTASTIC JOB FOR THE SPACE IT OCCUPIES .

I HAVE HAD TO REPLACE THE Y LEADSCREW BEARINGS AND REMOVE THE TABLE
TO RE-SECURE THE X LEADSCREW NUT !

I PREVIOUSLY HAD A PM727 AND I CAN TELL YOU THAT THE PM833 IS IN ANOTHER LEAGUE BY COMPARISON .

DSC_0687.JPG
DSC_0688.JPG

I agree with Rimspoke with reguards to the power feeds!! I couldn't imagine not having them (especially the x-axis)...

Congratulations on your new machine!!

Last edited:
Yeah, not sure about that.

Back