The fall would have been nasty.

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Gremlins thwarted by Guardian Angel & Wife. Bizarre event in shop.
Walls and ceiling in the garage are covered in 1/2" wafer board with insulation in the floor of the attic, but none in the walls - go figure.
I've got a 2'x4' opening in my shop ceiling. When we first moved in the roof was leaking over the garage and there was not a opening.
Water was coming out the joints so I 'cipt sawed an opening where I figured it would be best suited for access into the attic.
Put up a 16' extension ladder and that's been my means of access for 7+ years now.
I had a 2x12 underneath the foot pads, because the pads seemed to want to slide on the smooth floor.
During the current effort of 'Shop Re-Org' I've been stashing low use items up in the attic to get them out of the way.

The Rule here is that I am not to head up the ladder without adult supervision. (SWKB)
This Rule is based on a Women's Intuition, and if there is one thing in this world that I never question or argue with - it is that.

Yesterday I was hauling up a couple of cardboard boxes of junque, and when I got to the top of the ladder the 2x12 and the ladder started to skate.
Wife was at the ready - thankfully - and secured the bottom.
As it turns out, sitting on the floor next to the ladder were two one quart jugs of epoxy and Part 'A' had leaked.
It had flowed underneath the 2x12 perfectly, and the picture below shows the rest of the story.
Today's shop project is going to be securing the bloody ladder 'six ways from Sunday'. Which of course in hindsight I should have done (7) years ago...

0411201501a__R.jpg

Been fabricating my "Jail Cell" around the patio and due to discrepancies in the original roof supports not being exactly vertical there are differences in dimensions in all the units so I'm fabricating and welding in place.
This means going up and down the step ladder like a yo-yo.
Usually not a problem, I fold and pack it away at the end of the work day.
Yesterday I set up as usual, all dressed up in welding gear and hanging on to the the leads, got half way up the ladder when it started to split.
I had forgotten to lock the hinge.
I thought this is it, broken ankles at the least, I got clean away with it but the noise was impressive as the ladder flattened and we hit the deck.
lucky.

Been fabricating my "Jail Cell" around the patio and due to discrepancies in the original roof supports not being exactly vertical there are differences in dimensions in all the units so I'm fabricating and welding in place.
Yesterday I set up as usual, all dressed up in welding gear and hanging on to the the leads, got half way up the ladder when it started to split.
I thought this is it, broken ankles at the least, I got clean away with it but the noise was impressive as the ladder flattened and we hit the deck.
lucky.
Sav, I have done the same on more thn one occasion. Fastened a suitable length of chain between opposite steps with the added bonus of quicker set up.
John.

Some scary stuff there guys. Glad it all turned out ok. I myself don't like heights so whenever i have to use a ladder i set it up as though OSHA was watching me. :) Really.

lucky.

Glad to hear you're OK Charles.

Thanks Bob, I just must mention that as I felt the start of the slip I was locked in position with words like idiot, dick, tosser, fool, etc etc zooming through my head and it all seemed to be happening in ultra slow motion as I called myself all these and more names.

I know exactly what you are saying, I have been in that position myself, although, fortunately, not recently.

Took a couple of hours to clean up the goo. I had tossed two kinds of cat litter on it Saturday. That pick up most of it.
Ended up tossing on some sawdust from the jointer, sprinkling on some odorless mineral spirits and scrubbing it.
Took two passes to get it up.
Oil is a lot easier to clean up - IMO.

I'm getting damn nervous around ladders the last couple of years. A couple of friends/acquaintances have gotten pretty messed up in falls.

I need to remember 'tosser' next time I'm cussing at myself - kinda like that phrase. :grin:
Thanks Bob, I just must mention that as I felt the start of the slip I was locked in position with words like idiot, dick, tosser, fool, etc etc zooming through my head and it all seemed to be happening in ultra slow motion as I called myself all these and more names.

Back