The Fordillac V-8 engine running, finally

gbritnell

Active User
Registered
Gentlemen,
After many trails and tribulations the flathead engine is running. As the video states many changes were made along the way to first correct my design miscalculations and second to get all the components of and internal combustion engine correct, spark, fuel and compression.
I had the engine ready to go right after Christmas but didn't want to spend time in the cold garage trying to fine tune everything.
The last couple of days saw temperatures in the low 80's here in Ohio so I had no more excuses not to try and get the engine running.
Everything was hooked up, fuel ignition and wiring. I set the ignition timing to around 20 degrees advanced to get started. The fuel needle was just cracked so that I didn't load the plugs right off the bat.
A short spin of the drill while adjusting the carb needle had the engine running on it's own. While running I made adjustments to the distributor but found the timing window was very narrow. A little too much one way or the other would stall the engine.
I started the engine without coolant figuring that whatever changes would need to be made would only be complicated by draining coolant every time. When the engine seemed sorted out I then added coolant and found a few leaks, mainly from the hose clamps. The coolant was drained and the radiator removed so that I could modify the clamps to get a tighter squeeze on the hoses.
I would eventually like to go back to the dual carb setup but for now I'm thrilled to have it running after almost 2 years, from inception to life.
gbrtitnell

What brand of oil and filter? Do you use synthetic or regular? (LOL...)

That's pretty incredible. Are any of the components like the valves or crankshaft hardened? If so, how did you pull that off?

Ray

Beautifully detailed, sounds great and runs very smooth. I'm very, very impressed.

But I have so many questions, and I know others will have many more. It is what you get when you have such a finely crafted work.
How did you do the intake manifold? It looks so realistic. Just like an original but polished cast manifold (or maybe an Offy or Navarro?). Anyhow, one that any flathead hotrodder would dream of.
How did you contour the bell housing? 3 axis mill? Lots of hand work?

Love the Moon style gas pedal!

I haven't seen your other posts on this engine, (which I just found) but will start looking at them now before I ask more questions that you have already answered. Thanks for sharing.

I just watched the video again (a few times). The detail in even just the radiator must have taken days and days. Seems to be a pretty faithful reproduction, down to the swedging and pressed mounts.

I'll start off with the first questions. I use straight weight 30 oil. The only parts that are hardened are the lifters. The camshaft is W-1 drill rod unhardened.
Next questions. All of my machine work is by hand. I draw the shapes in Autocad, create the curve numbers then step off the shape with a ball mill. Kind of like manual CNC.
The manifold is a single plane made to look like a dual plane. The upper shape was created, the runners were cut in the bottom then a flange plate was machined and fitted to block off the bottom.

I've just started looking at some of your older posts on this engine. Just amazing.

It is hard to imagine the work it took to build just the radiator (the post and explanation on that is great), let alone the engine and other components.

I love some of your special tools. The valve spring compressor looks just like one I've used hundreds of times!

George does amasing work. I love the Ford 302 in his aviator along with the t5 tranny and ford rear end that goes with it.

Are you bringing to Detroit this weekend? I always enjoy seeing your engines there. Take care.

I followed your build thread of this engine, in awe. Great to see you finally got it running. Wow!

Back