The Fox Machine Co No. 3 horizontal mill

madmodifier

Registered
Registered
New project I thought I would share. Need to locate a couple step cone pulleys to get it running again. If all else fails I am thinking of fabricating a single large pulley for the spindle drive.

20191002_085919.jpg
20191002_085928.jpg
20191002_085941.jpg
20191002_085947.jpg
20191002_085954.jpg
20191002_090023.jpg
20191002_090029.jpg
20191002_090037.jpg
20191002_090049.jpg
20191002_090255.jpg

Cleanup has begun. I will post progress pics as I go.

Thanks,
Ben

Pretty cool old mill. What will you be using for a motor? Cheers, Mike

There's a guy on here who made step pulleys out of wood.

Good luck, it looks like a fun project.

JOhn

Maybe a DC motor with a speed control

That sounds like the way to go......

This photo shows the arrangement of four flat step pulleys for drive and power feed:
http://www.vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/images/20426-B.jpg
(kinda fugly colours though.......;))

It looks like yours uses the lever on the back of the table for horizontal X-feed, right?
(it has no feed screw in that direction?)

It should be right at home with all that other equipment.

Something old (the mill), something new (the DC motor and controller), something blue (a new paint job), then we just gotta figure out something you can borrow......I wonder if I have any B&S #9 you could take.......hmmm....

-brino

That sounds like the way to go......

This photo shows the arrangement of four flat step pulleys for drive and power feed:
http://www.vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/images/20426-B.jpg
(kinda fugly colours though.......;))

It looks like yours uses the lever on the back of the table for horizontal X-feed, right?
(it has no feed screw in that direction?)

It should be right at home with all that other equipment.

Something old (the mill), something new (the DC motor and controller), something blue (a new paint job), then we just gotta figure out something you can borrow......I wonder if I have any B&S #9 you could take.......hmmm....

-brino

It does have a feed handle and the lever for the table feed. The knee is also supposed to have a lever that I will need to make or I have larger fabricated round handle that I might try and adapt. This machine uses a rack for the knee and the table feeds.

I have been haunting ebay for a small 3 step pulley to fabricate the missing lower power feed pulley setup like in that picture.

I am on the lookout for a horizontal arbor for the machine if anyone has one kicking around. :)

Ben

I see several treadmills for free around town. 2.5 hp motors on the couple I looked at. Thinking that might make a good variable speed motor setup for this machine. Thoughts?

Back