The Franken-Drill

Buffalo21

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I do quite of drilling, of small and odd shaped parts, for work and for personal jobs in the shop. I‘ve alway wanted a good X-Y drill, but never found one, I liked. Most were nothing more than a drill press, with an aftermarket X-Y table, usually poorly done.

I had a good quality 20” Jet drill press, then I found a Altas/Clausing (Johansson) #8520 milling machine, that had no head assembly, or at least not a saveable complete head assembly. The knee/column and table assembly, were in excellent condition. So I machined a 12” diameter x 3/4” steel disc to bolt to the top of the mill column, then modified the Jet DP column, got rid of the base and table, then bolted the modified DP column to the 3/4” disc.

After truing the column, installing new table handles and a one-shot oiling system, the Franken-Drill has become a very valuable piece of equipment in the shop. I use it almost daily, a very solid drill press, with the benefit of an X-Y table.

7C3C250F-EB2C-4B0F-8989-31EC7B303619.jpeg3011A5CD-CF1A-41F0-98FA-EE67DE9EF6D5.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice Job, Looks really solid!

Very nice work! I have a Clausing VS drill dress. And I find myself going over to my Bridgeport mill to make holes:rolleyes:...Dave

Back