The FrankenGrinder

MikeWi

Active User
Registered
Got this for free from a machinist on another forum who advertised it as a horizontal mill. Well it ain't that, but it should be good for some things anyway, and it's free.
turns out it's from parts of two different grinding systems, and the base is really old, which automatically makes it cool in my book. LOL

FrankenGrinder

Almost forgot, here's what the Rivett looked like originally.

Rivett103

Last edited:
Got this for free from a machinist on another forum who advertised it as a horizontal mill. Well it ain't that, but it should be good for some things anyway, and it's free.
turns out it's from parts of two different grinding systems, and the base is really old, which automatically makes it cool in my book. LOL

FrankenGrinder

Almost forgot, here's what the Rivett looked like originally.

Rivett103

I had the same Rockwell Grinder about 20 years ago. The column & head were in good shape. The table ways were so badly worn that no amount of scraping could restore it. Even so I used it frequently and grew very tired of reaching up to make coarse adjustments to head elevation. Converted the air motor from an old impact wrench to drive the head up/down. Sold it to a local millright who also used it for a while. Last I heard he too had sold it on. I played around with various lubricants and spindle bearing adjustments to get the spindle to run w/o problems. Finally settled on a mixture of varsol and 10/30 motor oil. More varsol than oil. I let the spindle temp get high enough that casting was hot to touch.

You aren't missing much by not having the original base and table. The table feed rack tended to climb the pinion teeth when moving the table at any sort of speed. I suspect this was the source of much of the slide way wear on my machine.

I had one of those Rivett grinders, finally junked it; they were made for internal grinding. I don't know how the table rack could climb up on the pinion, as they had a dovetailed base and table slide; the big open hole was for the table travel cam, which was tapered, so that as it was adjusted in or out, the stroke of the table was changed; on the infeed, there was a pick feed mechanism that was actuated by a pawl on the table.

I had one of those Rivett grinders, finally junked it; they were made for internal grinding. I don't know how the table rack could climb up on the pinion, as they had a dovetailed base and table slide; the big open hole was for the table travel cam, which was tapered, so that as it was adjusted in or out, the stroke of the table was changed; on the infeed, there was a pick feed mechanism that was actuated by a pawl on the table.

I could be wrong but I don't think he meant the Rivett grinder. Thanks for the info about the travel cam. That makes perfect sense given the pivoting roller on the yoke. Another interesting thing (to me) is that the table is made in two layers, and the top one can be pivoted such that the left side can move in or out maybe an inch and a half, while the right side barely moves.

Anyway once I get the grinder half cleaned up, I'm hoping that it will serve as a tool grinder with some surface grinding ability.

One thing that puzzles me is that the spindle has an internal thread that is right-handed, but the spindle is also set up for clockwise rotation. The motor may not be original though. Anyone know about this?

I could be wrong but I don't think he meant the Rivett grinder. Thanks for the info about the travel cam. That makes perfect sense given the pivoting roller on the yoke. Another interesting thing (to me) is that the table is made in two layers, and the top one can be pivoted such that the left side can move in or out maybe an inch and a half, while the right side barely moves.

Anyway once I get the grinder half cleaned up, I'm hoping that it will serve as a tool grinder with some surface grinding ability.

One thing that puzzles me is that the spindle has an internal thread that is right-handed, but the spindle is also set up for clockwise rotation. The motor may not be original though. Anyone know about this?

My comment was about the Delta grinder. RE Spindle rotation, Single phase motor, reverse the start winding connection and the motor will turn the opposite way. There are are numerous places that provide the method for identifying the winding connections.

My comment was about the Delta grinder. RE Spindle rotation, Single phase motor, reverse the start winding connection and the motor will turn the opposite way. There are are numerous places that provide the method for identifying the winding connections.

Feeling stupid now. It's obviously been wired by a PO, so why assume it's correct?

While looking for Rivet 103 grinder information I found this post and would like to ask some questions. I have a Rivett 103 under restoration which is missing the headstock and tailstock. The plan is, if I can't find an original 103 or 104 head and tailstock, is to make something. But before I get started making something, I want to exhaust all possibility of finding an original Rivett. Does anyone know of a Rivett 103 or 104 OD grinder headstock and tailstock? Thanks

Welcome to the forum.
Seems that 103 is quite rare. Rivett built high quality machines.
Sad the way that company came to an end.
Much good luck on your restoration.

I would like to contact the first two people who posted, Mike and Beethovin. I tried to private message but something was preventing it from working.

@Dungeness58 There are limitations on new members - keep posting and you will be able to PM

Back