The frustrating hunt for machines

Try using https://www.searchtempest.com/ for searching on CL. You can set the distance to search in and everything within that radius listed on CL will pop up in one search. I use it all the time when I am looking for stuff.

I’m from southern Illinois, and can identify with you. There are a lot of machines in Chicago usually, for fair prices. I bought my lathe and mill in Kentucky, which was a 8 hour rip s trip drive. I bought a shaper 4 hours north. It did take a few months to find them. Just be patient. They’ll turn up.

Been a couple of months. Was funny, the day I started looking there were 2 South Bends posted within 50 miles. ... Pretty sure I have seen them both relisted since then at $1500-$2000 which is really at the extreme top end of what I am willing to spend on a lathe.

Winter is a very poor time to look for machines. Spring is a great time. You're probably going to see quite a lot coming for sale over the next couple of months.

South Bends are a well-known brand and command a very high price because of it. Atlas is another over-priced band. These things often attract as many collectors as actual users. Keep an eye out for Logan lathes - in fact one might say you're in Logan country. If you're talking about a benchtop (10" swing or less) then under 1K should be quite feasible.

Winter is a very poor time to look for machines. Spring is a great time. You're probably going to see quite a lot coming for sale over the next couple of months.

South Bends are a well-known brand and command a very high price because of it. Atlas is another over-priced band. These things often attract as many collectors as actual users. Keep an eye out for Logan lathes - in fact one might say you're in Logan country. If you're talking about a benchtop (10" swing or less) then under 1K should be quite feasible.
I am hoping spring cleaning and auction season kicks in pretty quick.

I learned on a South Bend like most everyone I imagine. Part of my problem is that as I see other brands and models show up I go to research them and it takes time but has probably saved me from jumping on some "good deals" that would have been a nightmare to correct any issues or ended up costing more than I want to spend to make right.

I am learning what to avoid slowly but surely.

Right now I am looking at a Logan 200 for $1,000. 3j & 4j, change gears, faceplates, Kennedy tool box, couple of mics, couple of indicators, couple of Armstrong style tool holders, couple of insert tool holders, probably 50 inserts and some other assorted tool box dross that may actually be worthwhile eventually.

Another is a 1920's SB 13" that comes with a chuck and a lantern tool post. It is really old school but seems to be in good shape if I can ever get the seller to let me come see it. I can see it being a bit more work and a lot more expense to get running. But I can see it cleaned and polished up and moving on down the road to help finance more machines later on.

I'm sick, I thought BRD was bad, now I am fixing up and selling off stuff I haven't even seen in person. I think my wife will at some point be begging me to go back to buying guns instead of tools.

If you decide to look for a Logan, try to find an 11" or larger one. The spindle bore is quite a bit larger than the one on the 10" machines. New parts are also available for Logans, which makes them easier to support.

If you decide to look for a Logan, try to find an 11" or larger one. The spindle bore is quite a bit larger than the one on the 10" machines. New parts are also available for Logans, which makes them easier to support.
Yes, I saw that while I was researching the Logan. It is nice to have a source for parts but holy smokes they are sure proud of those pieces. But it is nice to know that if I find a lathe that needs one piece to live again, there are parts out there to be had. Makes the "broken" lathe easier to haggle the price down on.

Everybody complains about Logan's prices, and you're right, they are steep. BUT, they're selling spare parts for 75 year old machines in small quantities. When was the last time you could walk into the dealer and buy parts a 1945 Ford?
I also know some are their parts are made to order: I bought a cross feed screw for mine and Scott had it machined for me.
When I overhauled mine a few years ago, they had every part I needed except some castings, which came from eBay and a forum member. So, despite the cost, in the end I was thankful that I could get those parts and bring my machine "back from the dead". With most of the old brands, that isn't possible.

Last edited:
I spent five years looking for a horizontal boring mill that wasn’t bigger then my house. I finally had to bite the bullet on a larger then I wanted machine.

I also found three machines at the same time on my want list.

Be patient and check all the avenues you can. The right machines will come along.

I might be an odd duck on this forum, but don't discount an import machine that is being sold at a good price. Depends if you are a user or collector I guess.

I got my 94' Enco lathe which was basically brand new except for some dirt and replacement belts. I've made tons of accurate and quality parts. No it isn't a SB or an Atlas, but it was up and running a week after I got it and it does the work I need at the budget I wanted.

Edit: Also, spare parts are cheap and easy to find.

Back