The Fun Never Stops.

Somewhere in Germany there is a VW line worker laughing his butt off. This person puttied over two 17mm bolts then painted over them so you can't see them. That cost me 2 hours and a headache .So I read the manual again and it said" Sometimes" there are bolts in this location.Well it was time to break out the air chisel and go to town.That's when it happened the "Ah Hah" moment. I found them.Breaker bar to get them loose and air impact to take them out.Jack up the car from under the motor put jack stands under the bumper and lower the jack."WA LA" the body stays up in the air and the chaise{SP} drops to the ground.
Thats enough for me today I'll take pictures of the "sometime" bolts tomorrow.
About the only virtue I have left is paychants :SP" and I was close to breaking out the smoke wrench.
Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow.
********Shaking The Bush Over Here Boss"*****************G****************:bash computer:************

Smile, Have Fun, yea right. I always say they should make all the people that design cars work on them for a few years before they design them then they would not hide bolts, and make things easy to get to. It is always that one little bolt or nut in an out of the way place, and oh it is not listed in any book.

I removed a timing cover from a v-6 one time with a hidden bolt. A teenage temper, and brute strength cost me a whole weeks pay to buy another timing cover. :oops:

Sent from somewhere in East Texas JP

i had a 69' single port beetle, i beat that poor car relentlessly, then after a motor went bad(blew up).
i Hadda get a motor, of course stock was not for me, there were many, many paychecks spent "upgrading" a crate motor.
my idea of a good time was racing Mustangs and Camaros just to see their expression when i was door to door with them,(or better)
they never could believe it , i'd just laugh.
i used to pray for rain so i could go out and drift the old bug like i was a professional stuntman, or so i believed at the time.
man that was a lot of fun, trying to get it out of shape only to bring it back from assured destruction...
did i mention, i'm a little Kooky when it comes to Horsepower and things with 2 or more wheels???:eek:

i had a 69' single port beetle, i beat that poor car relentlessly, then after a motor went bad(blew up).
i Hadda get a motor, of course stock was not for me, there were many, many paychecks spent "upgrading" a crate motor.
my idea of a good time was racing Mustangs and Camaros just to see their expression when i was door to door with them,(or better)
they never could believe it , i'd just laugh.
i used to pray for rain so i could go out and drift the old bug like i was a professional stuntman, or so i believed at the time.
man that was a lot of fun, trying to get it out of shape only to bring it back from assured destruction...
did i mention, i'm a little Kooky when it comes to Horsepower and things with 2 or more wheels???:eek:

Hey Mike that reminds me of when we would go "banking", which involved driving down a one lane road with snow banks over the roof of the car and bouncing from one side to the other, lots of fun when your 17 and bullet proof. It was all fun until one night my buddy busted through a snow bank and we dropped 6 feet into a field in his dad's Toyota Land Cruiser. It all came home the next morning when his dat went to change a mysterious flat tire and he could not jack up the car because the frame was broken. Lots of young men looking at the ground and shrugging their shoulders...sorry for the thread hijack Gator!

I fail to see the problem here. Looks like my old bug and ran just fine.:encourage:

Three day weekend is done and it's back to work.
As promised pictures of the "Some" hidden bolts.
79 supper bug 019.jpg
Found two bolts under some body putty that had been painted over.

Had a little trouble with the AC lines as they ran them sort of haphazardly from the motor to the front blower box.
We got the back lifted up but it started to rain so will finish body off tomorrow.
With the body off we will be able to replace both whole floor pans instead of patching it in.
79 supper bug 018.jpg More progress tomorrow.
1sm213sharepopcorn.gif
****************JADIP**************************G********************cartangrysj1.gif***************************

Well it turns out that the 1979 super beetle is way more complex then it's earlier models. With AC {It's a convertible } and fuel injection and a on board PCM {Brain Box} there is three times the number of wires and hose running in and out of the body and frame. All the extra stuff slowed down the process but we did get it half way done.
79 supper bug 023.jpg 79 supper bug 025.jpg
Tomorrow
I will drill some holes in some 1"x 1" angel to hold the struts up straight and roll it the rest of the way out.
Leave it to me to hornets.gif
***********************************JADIP**********************G**************************************

That 4x4 under the front of the body has a nice curve to it. Ooops, on second thought it's just fine, I must be looking at it funny. :big grin:

Yea those wet PT 4x4's do got a little give to them but there only holding up a few hundred pounds.Since it's a convertible I got to put another truss brace under the doors when I get the frame out or it will bend in the middle and the doors won't close. With no hard roof on her the only thing holding it straight are the heater tubes. Don't ask how I learned that lesson.
**********G***********

Back