The Fun Never Stops.

I made some head way today.After much trail and error I found the best way to separate the floor pan from the frame. Air chisel with the tool edge ground to 30 degrees top and bottom. Cuts thru the spot welds real quick. I got enough done to dry fire the new floor pan in . A little more cutting and fitting and this side will be done.
79 super beetle 017.jpg 79 super beetle 020.jpg
*********STBOHB***************************Gator*******cartangrysj1.gif*************************************

looking good, I thought that they actually made a chisel that went on the air hammers that as for Spot welds. Looked like a thin fork with the v in the middle all sharpened to a specific angle. come to think of it, I'm not sure if it was one my father made, or if it was factory made. Oh, How much weight is on that 4x4, it looks like it could break without much more force. Again looking nice

The rain let up enough so I could get the drivers side cut out and the new pan fit in.....So all thats left is to spot weld them in and roll the frame back under the body and fit them together again.....Then we will strip the body down and get her ready for paint......
79 super beetle 001.jpg 79 super beetle 002.jpg 79 super beetle 003.jpg
***********JADIP*****************Gator********************cartangrysj1.gif**************************************

looking better. Any problems with the throttle and clutch linkage. an stuff. I know they get messed up at times also. I'd replace all of that that I could before the body goes back on. I think it is a little easier. More access. etc.

Thanks for the tip I'll check that out before it goes back together.
***G***

Looking good Gator. Here in AZ there is no rust just dry rot on anything rubber or vinyl.

Looking good so far. If the pattern on the shift knob represents the gears, it's certainly a change from the newer H-pattern manuals.

VW's are an H pattern just like most cars the printing on the knob is just a little off center.

Nice job I have done this a couple time's fun little car. Ray

At last I'm back on this project. Between the rain and the holiday and some household emergences I found some time to hit it a lick.
Cut and fit the new floor pans then took them off and drilled holes every 4" OC to spot weld to the frame then ground the paint and rust off the mating surfaces. I got my friend Andy to weld it and Uncle Jack to stand on it to hold it down. Pictures to follow.
79 Super Beetle 004.jpg 79 Super Beetle 010.jpg 79 Super Beetle 014.jpg 79 Super Beetle 012.jpg
Some seam sealer and undercoating and I will be ready to put the body back on.
************STBOHB**************************Gator*********************cartangrysj1.gif**************

Andy looks like a brave man under that sagging piece of lumber holding up the body off the chassis.

Back