The gears in my head don't mesh

I would make the two gears separately and pin them together. A shaper could make the single piece gear.
That is what I thought must happen knowing that I do not have a shaper. I just thought maybe someone else had to do this before without a shaper or making two separate gears.

With the capabilities you have available to you, the gears will have to be made separately and then joined together. You could cut the smaller gear before assembly, then cut the larger gear after to assure concentricity. If you don't plan to try to harden the teeth, I would try to get some pre-heat treated 4140/42CrMo4 .
4140 is a good option yes,then I guess I don't have to harden the teeth. I must say that theese gears are not my primary gears,I am only making them so that I can use the wider apart TPI for cutting grease grooves,if you understand my thinking behind it,like 1TPI or 1/2TPI. The set that is on now is the set I use every day.

Well I finally started to cut these gears,I just wanted opions on number of passes to make. Is it acceptable to make one pass on 0.1696" depth of cut or a slightly big first cut and the a smaller second cut? I have made a few plastic gears but these are my first metal gears. The material used is 1043.

If you take a heavy cut first and a shallow finish cut, chatter is liable to happen and poor finish resulting, a pitch as fine as that, I would cut it in one pass. Bottom line, in cutting gears, keep at least two teeth in the cut to avoid chatter.

Back