The Giant Binocular

have a look here John

If anyone looks at the above post can you let me know if the photos are visible please.
I used a hack when photobucket tried to ransom us all but cant remember what it was.

Savarin
Any idea about how much these things are going to weigh? It certainly is enjoyable watching you design as you go. How thick will your mirrors be? And roughly what focal length are you designing these for?

Grumpy

Back before I had any machine tools, I often used my drill press as a "poor man's lathe." Your post brought back some fond memories!

Yes been there, done that. even a hand held drill held down with a clamp.

The disk cut in half with no distortion so that was good.
So the next job was a very simple one, make a clevis assembly to actuate the caliper brake.
What a palaver. It took 5 attempts to fabricate this simple device.
brake-1.jpg
But I got there in the end.
brake-2.jpg
The threaded shaft is silver soldered to the small barrel so it has some play but cannot turn round.
The bracket the thumb screw tightens up against actually sits flat once its tightened to the start of the friction.
As a guide when assembling the bottom half of the bino I think I will chamfer a lead in on the front part of the brake pads.

I like the brake calipers. Elegant looking. It should be very effective.
Robert

Thanks Robert, they certainly have some stopping power.

I almost put one of those on my lathe as a safety brake. I may yet do so. It would be pretty easy to put a disc on the motor pulley and mount the brake with an actuator cable or solenoid.
Robert

Back