The Giant Binocular

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Thanks, were pretty good up here in North Queensland (so far, it may change once full travel is allowed)

ch2co

Grumpy Old Man
Have YOU had a chance to view through them yet?? I mean a long clear dark nights worth of deep sky viewing?? How much did they end up weighing? Are they automated (motorized) at all or are you planning on computerization at all? I'm just trying to figure out when I need to get my air fare arranged so I can
drop in on you for a month or so. I understand you are great cook.

savarin

Active User
The mirrors havnt been started yet so no lookee through them possible,
Cant wait though.
manual only, I dont think I will add controllers as I'm not into photography, I find half the fun is hunting the objects down.
For some reasone it produces a sense of great satisfaction when I find it.
I have been told I'm a passable cook occasionally

ch2co

Grumpy Old Man
Dang, I forgot all about you mechanically deforming spherically ground mirrors into paraboloids. You've been at this project so long (or is it my memory being so short) I forgot all about the glass not being ground yet. Yes, I too prefer hands-on sky searcher. It's much more satisfying and relaxing. How much does this thing weigh even without the mirrors?

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock