The Giant Binocular

My original plan to use these suitcase catches wasnt such a good idea.
I have a thin layer of rubber between the two sections of trusses as a cushion to prevent metal on metal chipping the paint.
These catches that although look fine actually dont pull down sufficiently to hold everything in place firmly and a slight knock flips them open..

clips1.jpg

so I changed to these

clips2.jpg

These really crank down the sections and have the added bonus that a pin can be inserted to prevent them accidentally opening.

Looks like you were able to use some of the original mounting holes ... good fro you! Question - are there locating/alignment pins in one or both "halves" of the assembly? I've always used dowels when I needed reproducibly precise assembly alignment.

I had taper pins originally John but found they held it so tight together that I couldn't separate them easily.
I'm hoping that with a laser pointer in the eyepieces I can get accurate repeatability.
Had to drill new holes unfortunately but only 2 per catch.

Great choice on catches, they're excellent. Hoping it continues to go together without too any problems. looking forward to seeing it when I get up to Nth Qld maybe next winter.

I just had a thought. Could you use alignment pins that are more like alignment cones? Easier to disengage?
Robert

Mine were almost like that but obviously not quite good enough.
I should have made the taper full length.
Check out post 29 on the first page.
I was thinking of pins rather than a full length taper.
I even removed those captured screws I was so proud of.

I remember that. What a shame, those captured screws were very nice.
Robert

I've had no chance to work on these since December but I had a bit of a win today.
I actually got them inside my Suburu Forester with only a slight hassle.
They were designed to fit in my older Forester and as I found out today my new one has a slightly smaller rear space and opening.
I had to remove the 6 clamping plates from the lower section so they would slide onto the rear seat through the door.
I still have space for the observing table and chair and room for the bags of goodies plus 1 passenger who can help load and unload and may even get a peek through it.

I’m glad to hear that you are alive, reasonably well and making progress.

Also glad the Rona didn’t get you

Back