The GISHOLT #5 is alive

Hey UD,

I found a old book about machine serial numbers, dates and prices. I see a #5 with a 2 1/2" bar capacity sold for $10, 495.00 and weighted 5400 pounds. a # 5 with a 4 1/2" bar cap sold for $12,420.00
Both had a 19 3/4 swing and 10 hp motor. The book says the last serial number issued on or prior to december 31 1935 were 825 the skips to 1947 and it was s/n 891. It shows other models and accessories weights and prices. The book shows many brands too. :) Amazing what you find on a snowy day in MN.

She has a serial number of 872-66.
One of the users at PM identified her as 1936.
The original pricing is new information for me.
Wow, that was a lot of money in 1936!

Richard, when I get the Cincinnati back from TN, would you be willing to check your book on any data that it may contain regarding same? I'll have serial numbers etc late next week. Also, one of my Welding Instructors from Hennepin Tech is looking forward to learning more about a MN scraping class. Please advise when you establish a date.

Thank you,
Daryl

She has a serial number of 872-66.
One of the users at PM identified her as 1936.
The original pricing is new information for me.
Wow, that was a lot of money in 1936!

Richard, when I get the Cincinnati back from TN, would you be willing to check your book on any data that it may contain regarding same? I'll have serial numbers etc late next week. Also, one of my Welding Instructors from Hennepin Tech is looking forward to learning more about a MN scraping class. Please advise when you establish a date.

Thank you,
Daryl

I am thinking of asking Randy at MN Grinding of I can do a class at his company. He has so many machines that are so so precision. Or maybe Henn Tech would host it? Ask him would you. I taught a wek long summer school at Dunwoody..had to have been 20+ years ago. I rebuilt one of their Bridgeports in the class for free..or the use of the metal shop for the class. I also use to go to tech schools and show the students about proper maintenance of machines. I was giving back to them, so when they went out in the machine shops they had some basic knowledge of how to lubricate machinery, how to troubleshoot problems, how to level and align machines, etc. Ask that instructor would you? And sure thing on the Mill..I still want to get up and look at your machine...Have a great weekend Daryl...:)) Rich

Great to hear that another Gisholt 5 has a warm and dry spot. Ive had mine for several years.

heres a pic of my #5

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

Looks exactly like mine!
Do you have a manual for this model? - Mine is the next model.
Do you have/use a coolant-lubricating pump? - I have none. Do I need one?
What are you using for a tool holder on your cross feed? - Mine came with an Armstrong that takes 3/8" HSS.

Any direction would be helpful.
Thank you,
Daryl
MN

sorry no manual, but for tooling watch for warner swasey catalog alot of good stuff.
coolant pump mine is behind the headstock, but it pretty worn out wont keep pumping. im using cugting oil.
since thr rpm are so low hss bits are perfect for this machine. when i purchased minr it came with the four way tool holder, collet attachment, boring heads, and cutoff holder.

i use a bottle to sqeeze out cutting oil, never mschine with out it.

Great story of getting this lathe and how we all respect our machines. This is a nice little beast for sure --- enjoy!

Wow Uglydog!!!
you have a great piece of history there in that Gisholt:drool:
she's not gonna have any machining vibration issues for sure!!

thanks for posting the thread and making my shop seem inadequate at the same time:rofl:

but seriously, great score!!
mike:))

Anyone know anything about the mechanics of the Gisholt turret lathe? I was messing with mine (was trying to get travel measurements for DRO) and I ran the cross feed all the way in by hand and now it won't come back. It is stuck and I mean solid.

Back