The glass cutter .

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
:grin: So my children have been listening and my son bought me a bottle cutter for Christmas . Blame it on Pinterest . It cost maybe $20 or so , by the time I'm done it'll be up to $10 grand ! Either way , I've been cutting bottles lately , and it was something that interested me . I have enough glass on hand to build windows for a nice cabin in the mountains . Hopefully I would want to get into neon lights in the future also , but need to shed other interests first .

Fwiw one of those single point diamond tipped dressing tools for grinding stones work FANTASTICALLY in the glass cutting department, In fact, much better then any carbide type cutter ive ever used. They are pretty cheap and last forever.
One thing to keep in mind......my experience has shown a single score line is all that is needed and going over the same score line more then once more often then not will leave a jagged cut instead of a nice smooth cut.

Last edited:
I have quite a few diamond cutters from the grinders . I do plan on incorporating them into the build . :)

Gonna need a video then. Pictures won't do.
Did the offspring pass along a video camera in you stocking?
I still have a $10 one floating around, never quite mastered it.

Several years ago Honey came across a bottle that she wanted the top lobbed off of.
Talk about making something more complicated than it had to be.
Chucked it up in the lathe and with the shopvacs sucking - used a rotary spindle with a diamond cut-off wheel.
Not ever going to repeat that method.
Just checked and she still has it on a windows, the label has faded from the sunlight. :(

LOL , I've got the equipment to film , just don't know how to upload yet . Trying to get into YouTube but can't decide on a Username . The Grey Goose bottles are what I've been practicing on , we have a commuter that must love the stuff and deposits their empty bottles near the house . They are frosted and do look pretty cool , but we have bigger fish to fry . :big grin:

LOL , I've got the equipment to film , just don't know how to upload yet . Trying to get into YouTube but can't decide on a Username . The Grey Goose bottles are what I've been practicing on , we have a commuter that must love the stuff and deposits their empty bottles near the house . They are frosted and do look pretty cool , but we have bigger fish to fry . :big grin:
Film? what's dat? :cool:
Can anyone remember the last time they used film and had it developed?
several years ago I ran across a box of crap from my previous attempt at marriage and found a small box full of 35mm that the -ex has shot.
I checked to see how much per roll to get it developed. - I passed, and pitched them. Did keep the containers for the shop though.

I vote for md_coot for a YouTube handle... 'md' as in Maryland, not medical...

What are you making with the glass?

but need to shed other interests first .
Ya think? Ain't seen too many guys with more interests. :big grin:
I mean, the whole "tool smuggling" gig would be enough for me.....:cautious:

What are you making with the glass?

Mostly ……………………..pieces of broken glass . :grin: I haven't quite mastered the art of a single cut just yet .

Back