[4]

The Great Escape has Begun

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

jbolt

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Having lived in the San Francisco Bay Area all my life I have seen this area change dramatically over the years and not for the better. I commute 60 miles each way to work and back and over the past 13 years my commute time has doubled or more. There are just too many people here and more are coming. Other than marry the right woman the smartest thing I've done was buy a house when I was 23. Had I waited much longer it would have become near impossible to afford to live here.

My wife knows how desperate I am to get out of here but has been reluctant to commit to moving. Back in March her cousin in Oregon called and said the house next door was up for sale. To my surprise she wanted to take a look. By the time we could get up there it already had an accepted offer but hat got my foot in the door and we have been actively looking ever since. Over the past months we have made several trips up to the area to look at homes but just were not finding what we wanted.

This past week a home came up for sale that hit all the marks we were looking for and at a price that was too good to be true. We wondered what was wrong with it but had to look anyway. The day before we could go we had a previously scheduled appointment to have our dog spayed and our two children are away for a month so my wife would have to stay home with her. To add to it at the time the main route Highway 5 was closed due to the wildfires in Norther California. I decided to make the trip alone on Saturday anyway.

I left at 5 am and by the time I got to where the road closures were it was now open but the smoke was as thick as dense fog and lasted for 60 miles. I made the trip up in seven hours. The house and property were exactly what we were looking for. Stick built, not manufactured. 3 bed 2 bath with attached 2-car garage and laundry in the house. On acreage with privacy. The interior is dated but extremely well cared for. Heating, cooling, water heater and well system have all been updated recently. Owned by a sweet 90 year old lady. The property also has a 12' x 34' storage shed with concrete floor and electricity AND (drum roll please) a 28' x 36" shop with 12' ceilings, concrete floor and electrical!

I called the wife and she agreed we should put in an offer that day. The listing agent happens to be in the same office as my agent so my agent had a leg up on how to best present an offer that would make it easy for the owner to accept. By the time we submitted the offer there were already three other offers with another coming. Real estate in southern Oregon is nothing like the bay area so I put my faith in my agent to do the best for us as I would have probably over bid. I was on edge we would get out bid.

We got the call on Sunday afternoon that our offer had been accepted and we are now currently in escrow. We should take possession in the third week of August. We don't plan to move until the yougin's are out of college which is another three years so in the mean time we will rent the house and then update the interior before we move in. The shop and storage shed won't be part of the rental so it will give me time to get the shop insulated, the interior finished and electrical laid out the way I want.

I haven't been this excited in a long time and will be counting the days!!!!!!

Superburban

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Good luck, moving sucks. But the right property makes it worth while. Its great that you have the time to plan it all out.

Congrats.

Last edited:

markba633csi

Cool man, a fellow Mt. Viewan with similar ideas.. I was thinking Port Orford or slightly inland, lot of nice properties on Zillow
Mark

brino

Active User
Congratulations Jay, that's great!

. The property also has a 12' x 34' storage shed with concrete floor and electricity AND (drum roll please) a 28' x 36" shop with 12' ceilings, concrete floor and electrical!
Incredible. I bet you're already arranging your equipment in that space in your mind.

Smart that you got some time to get things figured out.

Oregon , eh? So I guess you'll be re-reading posts about preventing rust.

-brino

Kiwi Canuck

Jay, sounds like you got yourself a great new place.

BTW moving is fun when you're making a great move which sounds like you are.

Look forward to following along and seeing some pictures of the new shop once you start making progress on it.

David.

jbolt

Active User
Good luck, moving sucks. But the right property makes it worth while. Its great that you have the time to plan it all out.

Congrats.
We've moved once and I had a fourth the amount of stuff I have now. The good thing is we will be able to move over time and not have to do it all at once.

Cool man, a fellow Mt. Viewan with similar ideas.. I was thinking Port Orford or slightly inland, lot of nice properties on Zillow
Mark
Ha! you know my pain. I have not been in the Port Orford area. We chose the Grants Pass area due to my wifes last remaining family who we are close to and it is still within driving distance of our current home which we plan to keep and rent once we move.

Congratulations Jay, that's great!

Incredible. I bet you're already arranging your equipment in that space in your mind.

Smart that you got some time to get things figured out.

Oregon , eh? So I guess you'll be re-reading posts about preventing rust.

-brino
Yeah I was thinking about the rust issue. The current owners late husbands wood working equipment were still in the shop and they looked to be in good shape despite the shop not being insulated. Average rain is around 30 inches so it may not be too bad.

We plan on spending some time at the house over the Labor day weekend. I plan on measuring the house and shop so I can start planning.

Jay, sounds like you got yourself a great new place.

BTW moving is fun when you're making a great move which sounds like you are.

Look forward to following along and seeing some pictures of the new shop once you start making progress on it.

David.
I'm absolutely looking forward to it but now I'm committed to finishing all the deferred maintenance on this home so that will keep me busy in the mean time.

jbolt

Active User
Pictures of the shop.

Shop1.jpg

Front half inside. Rolling barn doors will have to go!

Shop2.png

TomS

Active User
Good for you!! And your wife. Sounds like you have a solid plan. Moving can be a lot of work but with your excitement can actually be something to look forward to. As you know my wife and I moved three months ago. We worked our butts off getting ready to move and unpacking when we got here. It was a very satisfying experience. I'm certain your move into your new house will be as satisfying as was ours.

I wish you well.

markba633csi

Paradise with a concrete floor

Nelson

Congrats! I would love to live in San Francisco, but it is just too expensive.

mattthemuppet2

good for you, that's a beautiful part of the world for sure!

Silverbullet

Registered
Registered
Super , I'm hopping the people buying my block meet my price. I have commercial business and residential where I'm at and every house or business has been devoured by some big money somewhere. I'm the corner on a main drag and side street . He'll need my side street to add access to what they build there. So I'm hopping to sell.and move to a better and Hunter friendly state south of us. Not Maryland for sure.

jbolt

Active User
Congrats! I would love to live in San Francisco, but it is just too expensive.
Fortunately I don't live in or near SF. Have you been to SF lately? It was nice(r) 50 years ago. I did a lot of construction work there in the late 80's early 90's and didn't care for it then. I still have the unfortunate pleasure of having to travel to the city for work on occasion. It is really awful. It's so bad now they had to create a separate department within the city government to deal with human waste complaints.

Nelson

I haven't been there lately, I am sorry to hear that. New York has become horrible too.

diamond

Congrats and good for you man! I managed to escape the Bay Area 5 years ago. Do not regret that at all. Now I have cows for neighbors (and only then in the winter), room for my horses at home, and a 40x50 shop building. My work has me back down there just often enough to remember why I left. Traffic and over crowding is horrible. Yet everyone who lives there seems to think it's "normal". I don't get it.

jbolt

Active User
Congrats and good for you man! I managed to escape the Bay Area 5 years ago. Do not regret that at all. Now I have cows for neighbors (and only then in the winter), room for my horses at home, and a 40x50 shop building. My work has me back down there just often enough to remember why I left. Traffic and over crowding is horrible. Yet everyone who lives there seems to think it's "normal". I don't get it.
Good for you!

In a perfect world I would rather move to the Sierras north of Truckee in the Portola / Graeagle area which is my my favorite place in the world. Unfortunately it is still in California. Oregon has its quirks but I'm hopeful the area we will be in will retain it's sanity.

jbolt

Active User
Woo Hoo!! We closed escrow yesterday. It's now a reality. We will be heading up over Labor day weekend to spend a few days at the property and meet with a property management company to get the rental process started.

brino

Active User
Congratulations!

TomS

Active User
That is good news, and congrats.

jbolt

Active User
Thanks guys! It's going to be a looooong three years....LOL

jbolt

Active User
We finally took possession this weekend and are spending a few days here before it gets rented. Working on a few electrical and plumbing issues to get ready for renters. Also met with a contractor today to get a quote to get the shop insulated and finished on the interior. It is really beautiful here and I can hardy wait to move here permanently.

Having coffee with the deer this morning.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Old Mud

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
We finally took possession this weekend and are spending a few days here before it gets rented. Working on a few electrical and plumbing issues to get ready for renters. Also met with a contractor today to get a quote to get the shop insulated and finished on the interior. It is really beautiful here and I can hardy wait to move here permanently.

Having coffee with the deer this morning.

" Having coffee with Dinner this morning". :courage: Great place.

jbolt

Active User
Well we are getting the full experience of mountain living. Southern Oregon is having one of its worst years for wildfires. We have been furtunate that the winds have been in our favor keeping out the smoke.

Yesterday evening a fire broke out about 2 miles east of us. Air support only got a few drops before it was too dark to fly. Fire grew to 250 acres overnight. We lost power when the fire started and are still without. The house is all electric and we are on a well so we have no water.

While the prevoius owner took good care of the home the property has had minimal maintenance. We are currently clearing defencible around the house, clearing gutters and sweeping the roof. Wind is still in our favor so fingers crossed. Air support stared up again a few hours ago so hopefully they can get a handle on it. So far all we know is one structure has been lost.

TomS

Active User
Well we are getting the full experience of mountain living. Southern Oregon is having one of its worst years for wildfires. We have been furtunate that the winds have been in our favor keeping out the smoke.

Yesterday evening a fire broke out about 2 miles east of us. Air support only got a few drops before it was too dark to fly. Fire grew to 250 acres overnight. We lost power when the fire started and are still without. The house is all electric and we are on a well so we have no water.

While the prevoius owner took good care of the home the property has had minimal maintenance. We are currently clearing defencible around the house, clearing gutters and sweeping the roof. Wind is still in our favor so fingers crossed. Air support stared up again a few hours ago so hopefully they can get a handle on it. So far all we know is one structure has been lost.

Be safe. Wildfires can change direction without notice. Clearing defensible space around the house and outbuildings is wise. The Carr fire in Redding nearly got our daughter and so-in-law's house. Came within inches, literally, of burning it to the ground.

jbolt

Active User
Be safe. Wildfires can change direction without notice. Clearing defensible space around the house and outbuildings is wise. The Carr fire in Redding nearly got our daughter and so-in-law's house. Came within inches, literally, of burning it to the ground.
They did a great job of containing the fire and kept it to 200 acres. With all the fires over the summer there are a lot of resources availible plus the state stepped in and helped. As far as we know only two homes were lost which is hard to imagine since it broke out in a populated area. We got our power back within 24 hours. We also had a pleasant suprise when a private fire company showed up yesterday to check on the property. Seems they are contracted by our homeowners insurance. They will provide first line of defense if we are ever threatened and if we are not there will take measures to remove fuels around strutures, seal eave vents and make sure there is good defensable space. We had no idea this was part of our insurance.

mattthemuppet2

that's pretty amazing, glad it turned out ok. Most cases of properties burning down during wild fires are due to wind borne embers landing in eaves/ vents/ chimneys and so on, unless an entire neighbourhood is wiped out. Might be worth investigating fire home defense improvements (on top of what you've already done) for the future. There's a whole industry out there providing products to protect homes. I looked into it a bunch after the Kinglake fire outside Melbourne Australia while we lived - really crazy time, 5 days over 45C, sun blotted out by smoke and ash raining down the whole day.

Janderso

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
I know the Medford area smoke was terrible for weeks this summer. I use to live in Walnut Creek, I commuted to Milbrae. Yep, Bay Bridge every day.
I hated that commute. In 1986 my wife and I moved up to the Chico area. Never looked back.
It looks like you have a couple babies there. If it is Like Paradise, where we live, the deer have their babies in your yard and they come back to give birth next time around.
Congratulations, you got out of the big city and found some peace and quiet. That is a bit of culture shock.
I can't imagine how I would move my big machines during a move. The experience was daunting one at a time as it is.
Enjoy.

TomS

Active User
Glad to hear the fire is out and you and your house are safe. Now you can get back to enjoying the tranquility of your new home.

BTW - deer in the yard are nice to have but they eat everything in sight.

jbolt

Active User
that's pretty amazing, glad it turned out ok. Most cases of properties burning down during wild fires are due to wind borne embers landing in eaves/ vents/ chimneys and so on, unless an entire neighbourhood is wiped out. Might be worth investigating fire home defense improvements (on top of what you've already done) for the future. There's a whole industry out there providing products to protect homes. I looked into it a bunch after the Kinglake fire outside Melbourne Australia while we lived - really crazy time, 5 days over 45C, sun blotted out by smoke and ash raining down the whole day.
The county we are in does not have regular fire service so we contract to one of the two private fire companies in the area. As part of the service they will come out and do an evaluation of the property and make suggestions for improvements. Once the fire season slows down and they are less busy I will have them out to do that.

I have close to 1000 trees on the property which about 30 are dead. I'll have an arborist out to make suggestions on what needs clearing out to keep the rest healthy. Fortunately there is not much in the way of dead fall or branches but there is a ton of needles and leaves that need to be cleared out. Something the wife and I will work on over the next few years.

jbolt

Active User
I know the Medford area smoke was terrible for weeks this summer. I use to live in Walnut Creek, I commuted to Milbrae. Yep, Bay Bridge every day.
I hated that commute. In 1986 my wife and I moved up to the Chico area. Never looked back.
It looks like you have a couple babies there. If it is Like Paradise, where we live, the deer have their babies in your yard and they come back to give birth next time around.
Congratulations, you got out of the big city and found some peace and quiet. That is a bit of culture shock.
I can't imagine how I would move my big machines during a move. The experience was daunting one at a time as it is.
Enjoy.
Ugh commuting Walnut creek to Milbrae would suck. 20 times worse today than in 1986. I have been commuting from Mountain View to Lafayette for the past 14 years and in that time my commute one way has gone from 1 hour to almost 2.

We have a few more years here until my son and daughter are out of college. We will be renting the Oregon home during that time except for the shop and storage shed so we will be able to move over time. When we get closer to the final move I plan on purchasing a 16' cargo trailer and moving my equipment as we make trips back and forth.

[6]
[5] [7]