The H-M Gurus have don it again

joebiplane

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Your tireless efforts have resolved my DRO problem om my SX3....Bu now I have a new question. Using a 12 volt adapter The light provided is " OK...Adaquate... But not what I would like... How much D/C voltage do you thinK theses little LEDs can stand and will that make the lights brighter ??? (probably a stupid question) I would like to find an A/C power supply that I can turn up slowly with a max DC voltage of 18 or possibly 24 volts DC if the lights can handle that.
I preyyt much am an electrophobic I don't want to build anything electrical... Just plug it in and wire my lights to the terminals and " Turn up the juice"
BTW I used two 46cm Led strips burchassed on E-Bay from china $ 8.00 for the pair INCLUDING SHIPPING.. took about 2 weeks to get them Photos attached

CIMG2436.JPG CIMG2434.JPG CIMG2439.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: The H-M Gurus have done it again

Please disregard stringy wiring... it's still a work in progress, Jo

Great googa-Mooga, Randy :eek:

What part of Electrophobic didn't you understand ?????????? ( with my tongue implanted deep in my cheek :-*)

you are ,indeed , a learned man randy....but as far as helping me ???? it didnt happen..LOL...My fault certainly not yours

In all seriousness, thanks for your attempt but your words were Greek to me... Except the part about the floresent light

I have a trouble light with magnets that I can stick behind the quill...But it's not COOOOL loooking 8)

I just wanted to know how much DC voltage these lights will accept ( sold as 12 volt to be used as strip lighting on hot-rods and cycles as " accent Strips) and if higher voltage would make them brighter and At what point will too much voltage will burn the bulbs out .... If anyone knows.

I don't want to make a project out of this...i was just trying something out and wanted to make it brighter.... I have no room for more lights, but perhaps there is a different size LED that I could replace what I just installed .

hey !!! it seemed like a good idea at the time. what I really wanted was a slim-line circular flouressent light that i could mount around the quill but i couldn't find anything except these strips and an LED UFO Camp light.

Very well put Randy,
Thank you for taking the time to attempt to straighten my un technical butt out.
i have lot of shop lights on the ceiling but I was attempting to try to do something that you tech-ey guys do all the time. Make something neat and make it myself. but, alas, my " limited" knowledge of electronics. spoils my plan..( certainly not the first time that has happened) i spent most of my adult life building and flying R/C aircraft as a hobby and building homes for a living every thing was wood. So it seems normal that i would want to make stuff out of metal for a change,and , hence, my bucket list began 5 years ago after recovering from a brain anyeurism.
I am truely enjoying it . This forum is just what the doctor ordered....literaly ;D
Electrical gadgets are a secret world, to me and I accept that i will never see the promised land of " Understanding electricity" but, none the less I do think about it. you have seen that my path into electricity and all it's wonders is more of a mine field for me....destroying perfectly good parts in an attempt to repair them...but i do try, regardless of the consequences.

You have saved me anquish and money with your advice and if there is no way to make it work, inexpensivly, i wll throw in the towell. >:(
My problem is that I just can't believe there is no way to suround the quill with suficient light by using some sort of cheap method. ::)

meanwhile i'll lathe and mill my little heart out and keep an eye out for a method of boosting the output of my led's or find something else that will provide the amount of shadow free light I seek

Please let me be clear I genuinly appreciate your advice and I tend to make light of most things. Life is short so i really try to enjoy it
and i am often the first one to make fun of mysely and some of the sill things i do. So please don't be shy at taking a humorous 'Poke" at me whenever you wish . I sometimes dish it out and certainly can take it
Humor is often our release to the pressures that can destroy our minds.
have a fantastic week-end and if you should get some brainstorm that might solve my problem, let me know.
thanks again for your efforts
joe

Thanks for your effort but I need something with a diameter no more tha 4 1/2 " and the hole in the middle ( for the quill) must be about 2 3/4"

I just KNOW it can be done...so I;ll just keeep looking
Thanks again
Joe

Ahhhh Knudsen...

Someone who "Understands" a man after my own heart !
in my photos you can see I have it installed and working... Using ..1st a 12 volt battery and then connecting it to a 12 Volt DC power supply.
It just isn't providing the brightness on my work that I would like... If I were to put it into photagrapher terms I guess you would say " Im looking for more " depth of field.....Light-wise"
I have no room for another string of lights so I was exploring the possibility of powering it with more Voltage.... but it appears that wont work ( so I have been advised)
Sure I can stick halogen spots all over the sides of the mill and aim then at the work, but as you seem to understand.." that is not the coolist way to solve the problem. Unfortunatly, due to the design on the

At work we use these lamps on our inspection scopes. They mount around the optics of the scope. I do not know the internal opening but I believe that they would work. See link below.

The other solution was mentioned by Knudsen, put a reflector/shield to project the light down and not into your eyes. Make a big difference.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/340074307/Microscope_Fluorescent_Lamp.html

Back