• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

The Hobby-machinist Die Filer

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Bill Gruby

Swarf
Former Member
Got to leave you guys. The party starts at 1:00 PM. I have to get ready.

This is 4 completed rows. Looking good so far. Not the best I have done but OK.

"Billy G"

102_0972 (900 x 598).jpg

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Wow, I need to try that. That's purdy!!

markknx

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Billy,
When you have some time (I know you have a lot going on right now) Could you explain to me was engine turning originally done for a practical purpose like lapping a large surface. or just decorative finish? If for practical use what would some of the early uses have been? Just curious about this art.
Mark

PS: I think the mug is cool.

Bill Gruby

Swarf
Former Member
That's a tall question to answer Mark. In the beginning it is to my understanding that Engine Turning was the Craftsmens signature. It served to tell who did the work, especially in watchmaking. Now it is a little known art used for decoration. At one time the swirls were thought to help in lubrication. This is a myth because when done correctly the surface is only6 burnished. Today it is cheated with abrasives. This began when they started using lapping compound to speed the process. Look up "Rose Engines, you will be pleasantly surprised.

"Billy G"

markknx

Active User
Thanks Billy, I was on my way to bed But I will look up ROSE engines in the morn. thanks again. And that does look to be an art for very nice looking to. I read about it in one of the books I read on machining. If I recall they lapping compound or some abrasive.
Happy Easter.
Mark

Bill Gruby

Swarf
Former Member
102_0973 (900 x 598).jpg Arriving at the center it gets a little tricky. The dowel wants to wander. Patience is the only hope for success.

"Billy G"

rwm

Active User
Bill- that is masterful! What great look. On aluminum, how much harder does this process make the surface? Will it be significantly scratch resistant?
R

Bill Gruby

Swarf
Former Member
Hard Anodize does not harden the surface as in "Hardening". It does however make the surface more resilient and slippery. Depending on how deep the anodizing goes will tell scratch resistance. I am told by the shop doing it for me that .040 will make it just the way I want. Time will tell.

"Billy G"

markknx

Active User
Billy, It is coming along very nice! If I was to try this on a smaller piece using a smaller dowel Is there a formula for X,Y,O. or is it just a matter of covering all surface without covering the center of the swirl? I do want to at least play with this when the Dr. says I can use my arm again. Also I guess I should ask how much pressure on the dowel? and what type of oil? Wish I was close enough to come by and see the artist at work.

Yes I did Look up the Rose Engines You were right. Very awesome machines. I am so amazed at what man has been able to achieve in the making of machines. CNC and robotics are great but I still just love seeing a machine with moving parts like gears and cams.

In my search I also saw a machine Called a Bordering Machine Cool machines.

Thanks again for sharing this with us,
Mark

Bill Gruby

Swarf
Former Member
No magic formula that I am aware of Mark. I lay out a couple of rows on paper the get the numbers. Trial and error.

"Billy G"

markknx

Active User
Thanks Billy

Bill Gruby

Swarf
Former Member
102_0974 (900 x 598).jpg Her sister showed up so I left them to talk.

Yipee we are past the hole. Another 2 hours to go.

"Billy G"

mark_f

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
That is really beautiful , Bill and it is going to make the die filer look great.

Bill Gruby

Swarf
Former Member
That's it, 7 hours on and off. I'm tired. Not quite what I was after but better than before. It's a keeper.

"Billy G"

102_0975 (900 x 598).jpg

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
That die filer is going to be so pretty you are not going to want to use it. Beautiful!!

markknx

Active User
bill that looks AWESOME!

savarin

Active User
A work of art Bill. Will it take much to damage the looks?

Bill Gruby

Swarf
Former Member
Right now Charles it wouldn't take a lot to damage it. After Anodizing though it should stand up well. Thank you all for the kind words.

"Billy G"

Boswell

Hobby Machinist since 2010
This is amazing. Thanks for sharing this technique. I will have a lot more respect for the craftsman/Artist the next time I see this type of finish on a part.

markknx

Active User
I Tried just a little of this but my overlaps did not hide the previous circle not sure if I need to press harder, hold longer, or speed up spindle. A the videos on line are using abrasives. I want to learn to do it the Billy way. I will tot some more. But I have to go easy in the shop right now.
Mark

Bill Gruby

Swarf
Former Member
These two pictures are important. Fig. A shows small black triangles. These are caused by the swirls being too small. There are two ways to compensate for this: #1 and easiest, make the swirls larger and #2 make the dimension "B" smaller. Either way is trial and error. Name your poison.

"Billy G"

102_0976 (900 x 598).jpg 102_0977 (900 x 598).jpg

Bill Gruby

Swarf
Former Member
Mark;

My Drill Press is running at 1500 RPM for "Engine Turning". The speed has to be there because I don't use abrasives. You need to turn fast enough to burnish (Burn) the swirl onto the surface. Lots of pressure also.

"Billy G"

markknx

Active User
Bill,
Material is 6061. The dowel is 3/8oak. Spindle speed is 610 rpm. The finish is rough more like light grooves or scratches. And when I do my second row the full circle of the first row can still be seen. I am holding the dowel to the part for about 10 seconds. Any advice?
Mark

markknx

Active User
Sorry Bill I left this window open and it didn't up date with your post. I will kick up my speed and see where that gets me.
Thanks again for your post and input.
Mark

markknx

Active User
Thank you Bill that improved things a lot. I will clean Up a piece of scrap tomorrow set a fence and see how I do.
Mark

Bill Gruby

Swarf
Former Member
Oil -- Norton Honing Oil. In a hurry, use Toothpaste.
Tool -- This time an Oak Dowel but I try to get Walnut. I turn my own from square stock.
Speed -- Minimum of 1500 RPM
Time -- This is a judgement call. It can take any amount of time to get the Swirls to fade. I do it in 15 second intervals. I have had it smoke before it was right.

"Billy G"

Last edited:

mark_f

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
That is a pretty table though.

A couple years ago I went to West Virginia to pick up a three axle dump truck for a friend who bought it. when I saw this truck I couldn't believe it . The complete dump bed was aluminum and the WHOLE bed tail gate and all was done with these swirls. It was fantastic. how in the world would someone do this and I can't imagine what it cost. ( the cab was custom painted with huge eagles on each side) .

markknx

Active User
I've seen larger SS panels with this finish touched up with abrasive disks. might be the same for the truck.

cjtoombs

Active User
Registered
I sat in on a company seminar when I was in college, they made cleaning and bottling equipment for the beer industry (they still use returnable bottles in other countries). They showed a picture of a bottle cleaner they sold to a brewery in China, the entire front of it was engine turned stainless steel, it must have been 10' x 20'. Probably a good thing they didn't have to do the whole thing, since it was something like 100' long.

[6]
[5] [7]