The Hobby-machinist Die Filer

Bill Gruby

Registered
Registered
Time for a new project. I will be building a Die Filer. This will be a larger one than most of you are used to seeing. The Table will measure 14.000 X 14.000. It will be 16.000 tall. A "Scotch Yoke" will be utilized to convert the circular motion to linear motion of the file. The Table will also tilt forward 45 degrees.

Here are a couple of pix of the Table Trunnions ready to be cut. They must be the same so they are bolted together. The 4 inch diameter piece bolted to that is to mount them off center by .625 inches in the rotary table.

I am getting together with bill50 to do the prints in CAD and PDF for all to download if they want.

"Billy G"

102_0887 (700 x 465).jpg 102_0888 (700 x 465).jpg

Locked in and ready to cut. Need to clean first though. The last job sure was a messy one. LOL

"Billy G"

102_0889 (700 x 465).jpg 102_0890 (700 x 465).jpg

Time to get off my butt and start machining these.

"Billy G"

Locked in and ready to cut. Need to clean first though. The last job sure was a messy one. LOL
"Billy G"

Looks like my shop Bill. Until yesterday anyway,spent the day cleaning. Looking forward to seeing this project progress.

I have been spending the whole week cleaning and reorganizing my shop area. I seem to be finding room for more stuff now.

I've been wanting a die filer. Looked at a couple of casting kits but I've got another major project going that will take until at least the end of this month, and probably until the middle of next month (when it is required to be done :). I'm looking forward to seeing your build, and the resulting prints.

Started the machining only to find out the swing maxed out and hit the mill tower. Easy fix. I just cut the corners off the blank. Still close but it clears.

"Billy G" 102_0892 (700 x 465).jpg 102_0893 (700 x 465).jpg

Billy- I built one of these recently. I made my Scotch Yoke as an open frame design. It works but it can be noisy when running. I should have made an enclosed design and run it in an oil bath. I can put up some pics if you want. What design are you planning?
R

Rotary motion to linear motion will be thru a "Scotch Yoke". It will also be open frame except for the Plexiglas cover.

"Billy G"

Back