The Hobby-machinist Die Filer

I've been watching Die Filers on eBay for some time now, and it amazes me what some people think they are worth. And always local pickup. I know they actually sell in the ~200 range, but I see them listed anywhere from 500 to 1300 all the time. Some people list things without doing adequate research on past selling prices.

All three Bearing Blocks have been bolted together and squared in the mill. Here they are being line bored. At this point they have just .030 to go. This is where I take a break. It lets the parts cool to a stable dimension. I may or may not have .030 to go.

"Billy G" 102_0938 (800 x 531).jpg

Just out of curiosity Bill, why did you choose the lathe over the mill to line bore?

That's a good question. The mill would have been faster. I don't know why I did it this way. Just used to it I guess.

"Billy G"

With a slight interference fit on that 1" OD tubing the Bearing Blocks are bored. I ended up only taking .025.

"Billy G"

102_0939 (800 x 531).jpg

I needed to stop on the Bearing Blocks. I swapped out the Wingnuts for 1/4-28 Coupling Nuts for the Tilt Locks.

"Billy G" 102_0940 (800 x 531).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's time to transfer the mount holes and get these done. There's much to do before they are finished. Bearing material is supposed to be here today. That 1" tube is for alignment only.

"Billy G" 102_0941 (800 x 531).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They are mounted. The tube spins freely when the set screws are loosened. Now to shape them.

"Billy G" 102_0942 (800 x 531).jpg

Bearing material was a no show. We are at a standstill. Bummer.

"Billy G"

Back