The Hobby-machinist Die Filer

Did you use carbide or HSS on that naval brass? I have a chunk that I think a hammerhead is hiding in...

I used HSS. The only time I use carbide is in boring operations. Never on the OD.

"Billy G"

Hot off the machine, this is the final upgrade of the prints. These are correct.

"Billy G"

Attachments

• die filler 05.pdf
    244.5 KB · Views: 43
Beautiful. Thank you for sharing the prints.
I see how you intend your yoke mechanism to work now. I was toying with the idea of having a ball bearing on the eccentric shaft running in a larger yoke. Any merit to that idea? I was thinking it might be smoother and quieter.
Mine uses this type of setup:
13%2B-%2B5.jpg
Even though the clearances are tight it can make a racket.
R

Last edited:
That is no different in operation than mine. It just has one more moving part. The more moving parts you have the more noise you have.

"Billy G"

Wouldn't it be necessary to shield the motion parts from filings? even a little rubber umbrella of some sort on top should do it.

Thanks for uploading the prints Bill.

Ken

Never gave that a thought Ken. Only time will tell.

This is a Scotch Yoke Mechanism in operation. Notice only Two moving parts, not Three.

"Billy G"

Wouldn't it be necessary to shield the motion parts from filings? even a little rubber umbrella of some sort on top should do it.

Thanks for uploading the prints Bill.

Ken
Since the files cut on the downstroke the chips head right for the top bearing. It is easy to create a shield for this. Mine uses a felt wiper around the shaft for this purpose. There is also a fitting for dust collection.
Bill- you are probably right that the ball bearing would just add another part and not really contribute. Then again, it may prevent wear on the yoke surfaces and keep the tolerances closer (quieter.) Mine did not get noisy until it wore in a little. It's really not too loud though, just a clickety clack.
R

Last edited:
Don't you have to keep this scotch yoke well oiled? And if so, if it is open, I would think everything would want to stick to it. I know there are open die filers, but never paid any attention to the underside. :concerned:

Back