The Hobby-machinist Die Filer

Mark;

I have seen many of these Scotch Yoke Drives and most were open mechanisms. The yoke itself on mine will be oil-lite Bronze. Drive pin will be SS. I expect no surprises. The sliding bar mechanism, seen earlier, will need constant lubrication of some kind IMHO. Too many surfaces are touching at the same time. The true Scotch Yoke has only a small amount of contact at any given time.

I have seen both in operation and chose the true Scotch Yoke. I also contemplated using a connecting rod but wear ruled it out.

"Billy G"

Since the files cut on the downstroke the chips head right for the top bearing. It is easy to create a shield for this. Mine uses a felt wiper around the shaft for this purpose. There is also a fitting for dust collection.
Bill- you are probably right that the ball bearing would just add another part and not really contribute. Then again, it may prevent wear on the yoke surfaces and keep the tolerances closer (quieter.) Mine did not get noisy until it wore in a little. It's really not too loud though, just a clickety clack.
R

This is what I was wondering. The difference between an open and closed filer. The one I just bought is very old, has a lot of miles on it, But runs completely silently. But the mechanism is in a closed crankcase filled with oil. We had one in the shop I worked in years ago, but I don't remember if it was open or not.

Mark;

I have seen many of these Scotch Yoke Drives and most were open mechanisms. The yoke itself on mine will be oil-lite Bronze. Drive pin will be SS. I expect no surprises. The sliding bar mechanism, seen earlier, will need constant lubrication of some kind IMHO. Too many surfaces are touching at the same time. The true Scotch Yoke has only a small amount of contact at any given time.

I have seen both in operation and chose the true Scotch Yoke. I also contemplated using a connecting rod but wear ruled it out.

"Billy G"
Ahhhh. That explains a lot.
Thanks Bill

Those prints (rev.5) are spot on. I made a wooden yoke to check. Perfect.

"Billy G" 102_0959 (900 x 598).jpg

Arrived at another stand still, waiting on materials that are a week overdue.

Both upper and lower linear motion shafts are finished here.

"Billy G"

102_0960 (900 x 598).jpg

It seems we have a Coffee Mug Collector in our ranks. This is the third time he has asked about my cup. I will not mention his name, but here it is in all its glory. Let me know if this offends someone and I will remove it.

"Billy G"102_0961 (900 x 598).jpg

Looking better and better Bill!
What is the general strokes per minute used in a die filer?

Ken

That depends on the Die Filer manufacturer Ken. Mine will hover around 200 SPM. I have see them as low as 50 SPM and up to 300 SPM

"Billy G" .

With that much variance a variable speed would be a nice addition.
What have you decide on to arrive at your aprox 200spm?

Back